In need of computer. First time posting... :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be mindful of what features you may sacrifice for cheaper price.

1.) Does it handle nitrox? Most do, but a few older ones may not. This is a good feature to have.

2.) Is it air-integrated? Not necessary, but a nice feature.

3.) Can you download to a computer from it? If so, it's likely there will be an 'extra charge' PC download kit. But having the option can make dive logging easier.

4.) Can you replace the battery, or must you have a professional do it?

Richard.

The only one that really matters for a newer diver who pays attention to the NDL's is a user replaceable battery. None of the rest of them are necessary.

Nitrox? not needed if you take a nitrox class that includes tables. below 50-60 feet nitrox is not that big of an advantage anyway.

AI? Would never own an AI computer. Just something else expensive to go wrong and replace/fix. SPG's are cheap.

Download? Unless it's as easy as my Shearwater with the Bluetooth hook up not worth it. I had a cable for my Veo. Software never worked and got so frustrated I sold the cable for a third of what I paid for it and was glad to get rid of the damn thing. Good computer and still have it. I'd want a gauge mode before any of the preceeding features. That way I can use it with tables for nitrox.

Replaceable battery? Yep, otherwise to me it's junk if I can't change the battery myself.

thank you for the info everyone. i think i have narrowed it down to the veo 100. looks like for all that i will be doing with it its the perfect one for me. that, and I can replace the battery myself lol. still though any suggestions would be great, thanks, Matt

though any suggestions would be great
The Veo 100 is an air only computer. For $25 more (new) you can get the Veo180, the Mares Puck or the Aeris NR1 NX any of which will do nitrox if you are/plan to use it.

The Veo 100 has a 12 dive storage capacity. After that it overwrites the 1st one. A week of liveaboard diving and you'll be paper logging dives 1/2 way thru the week. So does the Aeris NR1 NX (and I assume) the Veo 180 also.

The Mares has a 38 hour storage capacity. Amazon has the Puck for $160 thru Prime Scuba. Or it's $165 from Divers Supply. If you have a standard-sized console it easily pops out of the wristband and can be inserted.

All of these have user changeable batteries also.

Reactions: dfx
The Veo 100 is an air only computer. For $25 more (new) you can get the Veo180, the Mares Puck or the Aeris NR1 NX any of which will do nitrox if you are/plan to use it.

The Veo 100 has a 12 dive storage capacity. After that it overwrites the 1st one. A week of liveaboard diving and you'll be paper logging dives 1/2 way thru the week. So does the Aeris NR1 NX (and I assume) the Veo 180 also.

The Mares has a 38 hour storage capacity. Amazon has the Puck for $160 thru Prime Scuba. Or it's $165 from Divers Supply. If you have a standard-sized console it easily pops out of the wristband and can be inserted.

All of these have user changeable batteries also.
Quoting for emphasis. I was cheap too and bought a Veo 100 as my first computer. I thought, air only, no big deal, I have no interest in nitrox anyway. Other than that, it was totally sufficient, it did everything I wanted.

Less than two years later, and there I was with my nitrox certification. I upgraded to a Puck (still being cheap) so I could take advantage of the full benefits of nitrox. Now I have one computer too many :)

:) Just hang in there and keep looking... In the last 3 years I have bought a Suunto Mosquito for $.50, .

I'll pay you 100 times what you paid for the Mosquito!

Think of the story you could tell about that. 10000% return on used gear.

Plus I would get a Mosquito for $50.00

Back
Top Bottom