Improve my otter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I was extremely fortunate to have a close up encounter with a sea otter in Monterey last week, unfortunately all I had time for was a video. I managed to snag some frame captures and was hoping that some of you far more talented photo editors could improve the shots for me? I would be very much obliged!! The pictures are here below, I'm not sure if SB lowers the quality of the image so if someone would be so generous as to help I'd be happy to e-mail the original files. They are posted here in the order of editing preference.
Thanks very much and happy diving!!

otter.jpg

otter3.jpg

otter2.jpg

My personal opinion is that you should keep the originals as is and cherish the moment!

Taking candid pics of up-close otters/seals/sea lions with a P&S is really difficult. There's a fair amount of luck involved. You could spend a significant amount of time sharpening, balancing color, and removing bubble/backscatter...but, with the pictures you have, it's probably not worth the effort.

Perhaps others will have a different opinion.

Take lots of pictures and keep learning from them...

Great pics.

Great catch! In 500 dives in Monterey, I've never seen an Otter underwater except the one that went under my students and I while we kicked out to the tube for skills.
Here's what I could do in PSE7 in about 10 minutes. I increased the contrast, sharpened it and cloned out a few bits of backscatter.
otter2pse.jpg

Thanks Larry! You're being a huge help on all my posts!! It was funny actually on this dive, while my buddy and I were checking out the swells I said "Wouldn't it be cool to see an otter underwater?" And lo and behold! We got two! Very exciting. Thank you again very much for your continued help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom