Importing Tanks from the U.S.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude88

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was considering ordering a set of OMS doubles from the US into Canada. However, the guy at my LDS warned me that if I did so his store would refuse to fill these tanks unless they were approved by Transport Canada. I don't see the relevance of Transport Canada to scuba tanks but the guy was very firm about this. Does anyone know what he is talking about? How would I make sure that the tanks are TC approved? Is this just a scare tactic so that I buy from him at twice the ebay price or a significant premium over the LP price?

Also related, I was told that OMS 131s would no longer be available, anyone know why?

Thanks,

Any input would be appreciated.

Scubadude88 once bubbled...
Hi All,

I was considering ordering a set of OMS doubles from the US into Canada. However, the guy at my LDS warned me that if I did so his store would refuse to fill these tanks unless they were approved by Transport Canada. I don't see the relevance of Transport Canada to scuba tanks but the guy was very firm about this. Does anyone know what he is talking about? How would I make sure that the tanks are TC approved? Is this just a scare tactic so that I buy from him at twice the ebay price or a significant premium over the LP price?

Also related, I was told that OMS 131s would no longer be available, anyone know why?

Thanks,

Any input would be appreciated.

TC is the same as US DOT.. that being said...

Your OMS tanks SHOULD be fine AFAIK all OMS tanks sold in north america carry both DOT and TC markings and are manufactured by FABER.. Your local guy knows this (or at least he should) and is trying to pressure you into buying the same tanks from him..

Just ask the person you are buying a tank from to take a picture of the TC marking on the top of the tank..

If you go to the OMS page it states certifications DOT and Canadian TC

Close but the LDS is right.

Both DOT and TC are empowered to regulate the transport of dangerous goods. Scuba tanks are used to transport compressed air - which is considered a dangerous good. That is why TC is involved.

In Canada, it is an offense to commercially fill or hydro any compresssed gas storage tank (ie. scuba tank) that does not have a TC stamp (or sticker for fiber wrapped) on if if the tank was manufactured after January 1, 1993. (There are some exceptions to this but they really aren't germain.)

There are slight differences between DOT standards and TC standards. Some are trivial such as the difference between using PSI and bar and some are more complex such as the rules around the ever popular 10% over fill.

Most of the popular US manufacturer's do routinely have both DOT and TC markings but it is best to be sure.

I hope that this helps.

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
Close but the LDS is right.

Both DOT and TC are empowered to regulate the transport of dangerous goods. Scuba tanks are used to transport compressed air - which is considered a dangerous good. That is why TC is involved.

In Canada, it is an offense to commercially fill or hydro any compresssed gas storage tank (ie. scuba tank) that does not have a TC stamp (or sticker for fiber wrapped) on if if the tank was manufactured after January 1, 1993. (There are some exceptions to this but they really aren't germain.)

There are slight differences between DOT standards and TC standards. Some are trivial such as the difference between using PSI and bar and some are more complex such as the rules around the ever popular 10% over fill.

Most of the popular US manufacturer's do routinely have both DOT and TC markings but it is best to be sure.

I hope that this helps.

I should have stated it that DOT and TC serve the same functions. In most cases when there is a differance the US DOT rules are more restrictive.
Not that they are the same..

The US and Canadian markets are so intertwined that it makes sense for cylinders to carry both approvals..

The only cylinders that I have that doesn't have a double endorsement is a 15 year old pair of twins that were made for scubapro by faber...

for example reading off an al cylinder that i have in my hand

the top line says
tc-3alm139 (meaning a TC approval for an aluminum cylinder with a 139 bar fill)
the line below reads
dot-3al2015 (meaning a dot approves cylinder with a rated fill capacity of 2015 psi)

I hope this helps

Thanks very much. Your replies were very helpful. I've basically concluded that I will continue searching ebay for a good pair of doubles. I'll just make sure that I get proof that the tanks are TC certified. I don't want to get stuck with a pair of very expensive door stops!

Would anyone have any suggestions on what constitutes a set of tanks that would be overkill (i.e. too big). I've looked for other threads but I wasn't able to find answer to this question. I'm about 180lbs in decent shape and I want tanks with which I can develop as a diver. Don't worry I will get all the proper training. I just don't want to buy something with limited potential.

:eek:ut:

My favorite size tank is a set of double low pressure 95s (or OMS 98s).. The trim on lp104s are slightly better but the tanks are a little longer than I like.. My 95s served me well on dive to 250 or so...

I would stay away from HP tanks and stick with the LP versions.. I wouldn't be too concerned with size. I know a 5'0" petit woman tha used to dive with lp 125s plus slings....

My advice, look for something reasonably sized. At 185 pounds, you should look for tanks no larger than 7.25 diameter and 25-27 length depending on your height. I am in the same weight category and dived with double navy 90 alum for years. These are 7.25's and plenty large for me. Leave the double 8's for someone 6'4" and 280 pounds.

for you reference..
al80s (7.25)which have terrible buoyancy characteristics are 31.4 (plus valve)lbs each, al 100s (8.0)are 41 lbs (plus valve)

lp steel 85 (7') 31 lbs, lp 98 (8.0) 38 lbs, (both specified with valve)
hp cylinders (not recommended) 100 (7.25') 31lbs
the LP98 vs the HP100, the lp is slightly longer (easier to reach valves) and but still shorter than al-80, the HP80s are way to small for most divers..

The 108s are a better solution for someone that nees more air than doubling up al -100s.. the oms 108s (12 cu ft) are 26' long and 41 lbs virtually identical to the al 100 but with a lower required fill pressure(2640 vs 3300) and better buoyancy.

The only people I would even consider recommending al tanks to is warm water wetsuit divers..

Thanks for the advice, it is needed and appreciated. This board is awesome.

Could someone please clarify what must be done to use both tanks with one regulator. I know a manifold is necessary but what I am confused about is whether the DIN valves must be set up in a Special manner. Basically, if someone could just give a one paragraph "Dummies Guide to Manifolds", I would be very happy.

As far as I know there is no manifold which will unite two DIN K valves except for those special 'right and left hand' valves designed for that purpose. You need to set the original valves aside and purchase a twin tank manifold. Also, since the diameter and distance between tanks set by the manifold is either non adjustable or only slightly adjustable, the twin steel bands must be spaced properly. Hence, selection of bands is as important as the manifold. Old manifolds commonly available on EBAY, unite tanks for one regulator. Modern manifolds have two outlets and can accomodate one or two regulators.

While I'm here I'd like to address the issue of LP/HP tanks. The HP 100 is a 12 liter tank similar in size and weight to the old and once popular 72 which was also a 12 liter. Yet, the little HP tank is capable of holding a remarkable 102 cubic feet of air at 3500 psi as opposed to the LP tank which held about 66 cubic feet at 2250 psi or 71.2 cubic feet at 2475. Strangely, if one wanted to experience the thrill of the old LP tank one could theoretically fill the HP tank to 2250 psi for a nostagic fill of 66 cf. Wait a minute, that's not theory, it's fact. Looking at 'modern' LP tanks, which most folks fill to 3000 psi anyway and turning this around for a moment; it's also possible to underfill a HP 102 to 3000 psi for a round 87 cubic feet of air without violating any rules at all. In fact, I can see hardly any downside. Two tanks in one; An HP and an LP. Two tanks for half the price. I wonder if anyone thought of underfilling an HP tank and selling their LP? Naw, too simple.

Back
Top Bottom