Importing European Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orion DM

Reaction score
Hi, I have 4 European Cylinders in Spain, (I don't have the exact markings as I am in the USA right now)

1. 1 Steel 10 l Expired Visual Good Hydro less then 2 years old
2. 1 Steel 7 l Expired Visual-Hydro about 6-7 years old
3. 2 Steel 12s l Expired Visual-Hydro ? Age, I think maybe 12+

Does anyone know what I am getting into if I try to bring these to the US and get them filled if we assume they would all pass Visual and Hydro (and they should) They all have Visual inspections from 2 years ago, Hydros from 3-4, it's required every 2 years here.
If they come over they come over in a boat crossing the atlantic so it's not like I am paying freight or anything.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't think any US based Hydro tester is going to test any non-D.O.T. stamped tanks. And I think it will confuse most guys doing a VIP when they go to look at the stampings and see a hydro every 2 years and no D.O.T. stamps and numbers.

sell them overseas and buy a couple of new ones.
what you get for them, plus what it would cost to ship from spain; will come pretty close to new or slightly used but excellent condition steel tanks.
I don't thinks its worth the hassle unless you have your own fill station or access to a friends.

Back
Top Bottom