Importance of Self Reliance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

I just did the same thing not long ago and you recovery process and mine are photocopies. The only difference is that i had a buddy. Whether that failed to prevent the problem or was the cause, I cant say. Fortunately i dive H valves and switched regs as i made a safe and gracefull exit to a more open water area to fix things.

Contrary to some opinions i think this event and mine proves just what self reliant skills can accomplish.

OP -- your post seems to me to be a strong argument against the concept of "self-reliance" as in solo. Had you been part of a real team (i.e., had a REAL buddy and done standards checks), you would have known about your problem before entering the water.

This one always makes me laugh. If he'd been a real solo diver, who does standard checks, the same outcome applies...no problems if you always follow the rules. The reality is, sometimes divers rush into the water--both solos and teams are guilty of it.

The consequences here were pretty light. Doing a negative entry in a drysuit and heavy steel doubles with both posts off is an excellent way to become a shrink-wrapped bottom feature.

Here's one for ya! Three years ago I sat on a dive boat bench all geared up but couldn't move because my tanks were STILL BUNGIED TO THE HOLDERS! Did I feel stupid asking my insta-buddy to release me! The valves were on :). Good job realizing and fixing the issue.

Diving to me as been a solo sport for a very long. Like another poster I began solo diving with one tank w/ J valve, one regulator and no auto inflate BCD. Self reliance, IMO is something that someone has in them or not, some people need a team to be able to function. Going it alone is just not for them. I love being alone in the ocean.

Here's one for ya! Three years ago I sat on a dive boat bench all geared up but couldn't move because my tanks were STILL BUNGIED TO THE HOLDERS! Did I feel stupid asking my insta-buddy to release me! The valves were on :). Good job realizing and fixing the issue.

Diving to me as been a solo sport for a very long. Like another poster I began solo diving with one tank w/ J valve, one regulator and no auto inflate BCD. Self reliance, IMO is something that someone has in them or not, some people need a team to be able to function. Going it alone is just not for them. I love being alone in the ocean.

My biggest solo diving challenge is getting in a wetsuit with bad shoulders. An extension on the lanyard and an overhead hook lets me step away and squat to zip it up.

This one always makes me laugh. If he'd been a real solo diver, who does standard checks, the same outcome applies...no problems if you always follow the rules. The reality is, sometimes divers rush into the water--both solos and teams are guilty of it.

"Real solo diver" ?

"Real solo diver" ?

Put your hackles down; I was merely using a tongue-in-cheek term as a way of pointing out the silliness of Peter Guy's "this never would have happened if he'd been diving with a real team/buddy and that's why solo is a bad idea" assertion. In other words, the assumption that teams are any better than solos about always following proper procedures with a 0% error rate is bull:censored:, as is the idea that any "real" divers never make silly mistakes.

I was just looking for clarification.

At least you didn't accuse me of still not knowing how to use a valve after 12 years...

I was just looking for clarification.

At least you didn't accuse me of still not knowing how to use a valve after 12 years...

Well I can't make that accusation any more. You (finally) do know how to use it now, RIGHT?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom