Impending rupture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NyQuil? A kid on our travel team had a little stuffiness, got on a plane and got a bad ear pain/ unable to equalize for hours after descent. I gave her DayQuil pills that helped eventually sort it out. Good Luck.

I don't recommend 'shotgun' cold meds like suggested. I like to know what I'm taking.

NYQUIL INGREDIENTS
Active Ingredients (in each LiquiCap™) (Purpose)
Acetaminophen 325 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan HBr 15 mg (Cough suppressant)
Doxylamine succinate 6.25 mg (Antihistamine)

DAYQUIL INGREDIENTS
Active Ingredients (in each LiquiCap™) (Purpose)
Acetaminophen 325 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg (Cough suppressant)
Phenylephrine HCl 5 mg (Nasal decongestant)

As you can see it's just regular stuff you can buy off the shelf for yourself. Tylenol for pain, Dextromethorpan for cough (lousy cough suppression, almost worthless), Doxylamine being an antihistamine 'may' help with cold symptoms (more likely not) but the main (side) effect is drowsiness. Cheap Benadryl is a better antihistamine.

Dayquil just adds Phenylepherine, a poor decongestant since Pseuodfed can't be used in these kinds of med mixes anymore (idiots make crack from it). Doubt Nyquil would help at all, except maybe for pain, and Dayquil would be of questionable/minimal benefit.
You could well have a middle ear infection. Often they will clear themselves and antibiotics are no longer suggested at the first hint of this problem due to the serious overuse of antibiotics for stuff like this.
So, get yourself some Pseudofed, take it immediately and hope it opens things up enough to drain. Personally I would add Afrin nasal spray, AND get a Neilmed sinus rinse kit and start using that. Sure, take some painkiller too.

If you are desperate, go see a Doc now and probably get put on antibiotics. I'd still do the other stuff in addition, won't hurt, probably help. You might want to discuss a short course of steroids ONCE THE EAR HAS CLEARED, to reduce the inflammation if you hope to dive. You don't want to take steroids if you do have an infection.

Last edited:
UGH! My right ear is plugged and giving all signs of impending rupture. Not caused by diving.. BUT I am 23 days from getting on a plane to Mexico :(

Am I totally out of luck?

Hi Merchant_r,

What makes you think your eardrum is about to rupture? If it's really that bad I'd get in to urgent care straight away. Sorry, I see you posted this on Saturday, I'm just now seeing this.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Merchant_r,

What makes you think your eardrum is about to rupture? If it's really that bad I'd get in to urgent care straight away. Sorry, I see you posted this on Saturday, I'm just now seeing this.

Best regards,
DDM

Turns out it wasn't a rupture. My tube was super clogged and so were the sinuses. I've had ruptures before and they felt the same. A week out and I've cleared my sinuses and tubes so diving is a go!

Ditto @fmerkel. Start low, go slow. Glad to hear you're improving!

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom