Image Pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Today I logged in to flickr and found a mail asking about using one of my pictures for marketing since it showed a species of seaweed that one of the company's products is based on. I checked the company (pretty easy, since the email address was on the company's domain), and although I don't much believe in the product they're not running a total snake oil scheme scamming money out of poor and/or sick people. So, I don't have any serious ethical objections to them using my picture to sell stuff.

What I don't have the slightest idea about is what's "normal" pricing for this kind of stuff. From the company's domain name, it's located in the UK in case that affects pricing. I'm thinking about reserving my copyright and only allowing use for a specific purpose, with other use to be re-negotiated, so that will probably also affect the pricing.

So, given those constraints, what would be a decent price and/or starting point for haggling price?

BTW, this is the picture:

It depends hugely on the scope of how they will use it. For example, a photo that goes on the cover of a magazine with millions of copies distributed might sell for many thousands, while a photo for something like this strikes me more in the hundreds range. You could always ask them to make the first bid, and see where they are at - it may be more than you expect, and you can always say no if they offer $50 and you want $100.

Not that you asked, but if you're trying to license it I might darken it up where the lens flare lightens the background (and send them both versions) - something like this:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 35
It depends on whether they want to license it, in which case what are they using it for, do they want to use it for print, online, one time, as many times as they want, in an ad or on the product packaging? Or, whether they want to buy the rights in some form, exclusive or otherwise, etc.

Suggest you read up on photography licensing and decide what course of action best fits the situation. It's easy to get screwed.

Not that you asked, but if you're trying to license it I might darken it up where the lens flare lightens the background (and send them both versions) - something like this:

I'm prone to believing it isn't lens flare, but rather sunlight scattering in the water column. The lens - and port - was in shadow when the picture was taken.

BTW, it turned out they wanted to use it for free, only with photog credit. So, no deal.

It depends on whether they want to license it, in which case what are they using it for, do they want to use it for print, online, one time, as many times as they want, in an ad or on the product packaging? Or, whether they want to buy the rights in some form, exclusive or otherwise, etc.

I know. What I didn't know was where to start if actual figures were to be negotiated.

Storker, sorry to hear it. I've had a handful of offers to "license" my photos for free as well, which is a lot less compelling than an offer that will help buy some new equipment.

Back
Top Bottom