Image compensation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDavil

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

My company will be launching a new scuba-related line of products in the near future. One of my tasks is to acquire the rights to a small number (five to ten) of photographs depicting various underwater scenes (sharks, turtles, etc.).

Having never done this before, I have no idea what the average level of compensation is for a hi-res photograph. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on what I can expect to pay for these photos? I'll need the images within the next couple of months, but at this point I need some numbers to plug into my business plan to show the boss.

At some point in the future I'll be using many of my own photographs, but based on the quality of my first efforts with my new SP-350 and housing in Coz (post to follow in a couple of days), it may be a while. In the meantime, I'll need to rely on folks with actual talent for the images.

So any estimates, suggestions, WAGs on what I might expect to pay for some quality images?

Thanks for any help,

David

Why not look in the photography community? I would assume that the price of underwater photographs is pretty much the same as that of "regular" photographs.

Look at stock agencies and what the prices are that come with their stock photos. You can look at Corbis and Getty.

www.dpreview.com has photography forums, most separated by gear company, but I think there's a forum specifically for pro photographers. If you ask there, you may get a good answer or at least a start.

I'd start with some of the photos and photographers that post on this board. If you see something you like, send them a note and ask them what they think would be fair to use that/those images. There are a lot of very talented and professional people and professional quality photos posted on this board every day.

merxlin:
I'd start with some of the photos and photographers that post on this board. If you see something you like, send them a note and ask them what they think would be fair to use that/those images. There are a lot of very talented and professional people and professional quality photos posted on this board every day.

Yep, that's why I'm starting here. I see images here every day that I really like, so there's no point in going anywhere else if folks here are willing and able to supply their art. Keep it in the family, so to speak.

I'm mostly just trying to figure out a range so I can put a business plan together. Like I said, I'm trying to gather any information I can since this is a new process to me. I don't know things like whether amateurs even sell their stuff, or whether I need to be talking to a pro. Basic stuff like that.

Thanks again for the feedback so far.

David

Just do a simple seach for "scuba diving" on any of these major stock photography sites and take a look at the prices.

www.gettyimages.com
www.corbis.com
www.veer.com
www.istockphoto.com

You'll see a huge range. Rights managed photos can cost as much $1,000.+ per usage. At the other end of the spectrum you'll be able to find some very nice high-res royalty free photos on iStock for $5. each. Finding photography for any form of marketing collateral simply requires spending a bit of time searching for images that meet your visual requirements and fit with in your budget. They're out there. Just start looking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom