I'm planning a trip to see whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've pretty much settled on Isla Marisol as a base. I've got a couple of questions.

First, different sources (dive operations) say the best timing is 1. just befor and at the full moon, 2. at the full moon and just after, and 3. 3-4 days after the full moon. Anyone have experience with diving at these times at Glover's and Turneffe?

Second, is there any decent shore diving or snorkeling on Isla Marisol?

Finally, any and all tips will be appreciated. I really want to dive with these creatures and Mexico doesn't seem to have the clear visibility and the time in the water is very restricted.

Neither of the dive locations you mentioned are likely to see Whalesharks - they're only found off Gladden Spit in southern Belize. Contact Ralph Capeling here or at Splash Dive in Placencia for accurate details. Whale Shark Dive Trips | Splash Dive Center | Placencia Belize

I believe but do not know for certain that Isla Marisol is too far north to run dive excursions down there. That would be a long boat ride if they do.

Some of the resorts north of Placencia like Hamanasi or (I believe) Roberts Grove do run day trips there at the appropriate times. Roberts Grove recently changed dive operations so IDK if the new one still offers it. Or there's Turtle Inn but it's a tad pricey..the Coppola's that own it are the director's family.

Mexico is snorkel only also - if you want to dive with them - Belize is the place. Or the Philippines.
You can also pretty reliably snorkel with them early spring (about now) off Utila - no diving though. We snorkeled with 8 over 3 days there about 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Wow - THANKS - Gladden not Glover's. Boy would I have been seriously disappointed. Isla Mirosol's site does say Whale Sharks, but even if they do I'd rather be as close as I can rather than having an unnecessarily massive boat ride.

The only thing that worries me about Splash is that their price list says - trips to "Glover's are subect to minimum of 6 confirmed divers". I don't know if that's a problem during whale shark season. I'll have to inquire.

The only thing that worries me about Splash is that their price list says - trips to "Glover's are subect to minimum of 6 confirmed divers". I don't know if that's a problem during whale shark season. I'll have to inquire.

It's never been a problem when I've been there in June, which is the beginning of the "low" season for divers and tourists. I think April and May are their "peak" seasons and the slots for WS diving fill up fast, so if that's when you're planning to go you may want to check with them now.

The WS dives are tied to the full moon, but Splash also depends on the local fishermen to report whether the WSs have been spotted before Splash goes out.

It's never been a problem when I've been there in June, which is the beginning of the "low" season for divers and tourists. I think April and May are their "peak" seasons and the slots for WS diving fill up fast, so if that's when you're planning to go you may want to check with them now.

The WS dives are tied to the full moon, but Splash also depends on the local fishermen to report whether the WSs have been spotted before Splash goes out.

I'll have to contact them and find out particulars - I've read that the best time is just before, right at, and several days after the full moon from diferent sources. I don't mind going a couple times to be sure to have the experience, but at $330 a pop I can't afford to go every day for a week.

I'm planning for 2019 not this year so getting definite dates at this time is very iffy. Can't even begin to look for flights for a few more months. If they fill up a year ahead it might not be the best fit for me.

price list says - trips to "Glover's are subect to minimum of 6 confirmed divers".
Glover's is NOT Gladden Spit where the WS are. I believe Splash does trips north to Glover's to do the better other diving there - maybe even the Blue Hole. IIRC they even do an overnight with a stay at one of the atoll resorts. Gladden Spit is mostly straight east from Placencia - maybe a little south. Glover's and the other Atolls are hours to the north.

Really just contact Ralph - he owns Splash and they've been WS diving for years. My friends spent a week with them and dove with 5-6 sharks on two different days. I was planning to go also except we got a last minute liveaboard deal, I usually did a lot of the setup for our group trips so knew all the details.

If it was me, I'd stay in Placencia - you can fly in and Splash will pick you up. Getting out to the Atolls is sometimes more difficult as it's subject to the days their boat will pick you up - I'm reasonably sure Turneffe only exchanges guests on Saturday - Marisol is likely similar.

Southwest is now flying to Belize City - from there you puddlejump down to Placencia on either Maya Island Air or Tropic Air. Same airport different terminal. Maya has the bigger planes and costs more. Splash will set that up also if asked. Afaik it's day flights only still and may be a grass strip. I believe there's one car rental place in Placencia but our plan was to stay at a resort Splash provided dive services to so we didn't rent a car.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm too confused and making it way too hard. I contacted Ralph/Splash and will be booking a WS package. I just have to wait a few months till I can book a flight to make final arrangements. I'm already excited.

Wow - THANKS - Gladden not Glover's. Boy would I have been seriously disappointed. Isla Mirosol's site does say Whale Sharks, but even if they do I'd rather be as close as I can rather than having an unnecessarily massive boat ride.

Hi Kharon. I just looked at our price list and I could not find where it says trips to Glover's are subject to a minimum of 6 confirmed divers. Can you please let me know where you found that or better yet, send me a copy to ralph@splashbelize.com. In any event we have lots of divers at whale shark time so Glover's trips go.

Isla Marisol does do whale shark tours.

Regards
Ralph

Ralph, I just sent the price list you sent me. Check line 8 of teh spreadsheet.

But, I was getting Glover's and Gladden Spitt mixed up. I'm going to book a WS package with you as soon as I can book flights. Airlines seem to only list flights that are 10-11 months out.

Kharon, if your looking at Southwest, and you should if it's an option from where you live, their schedules are only open about 8-10 months out. If you call their reservation line, they can tell you when the next stretch opens and how far out.

If you're looking your WS package for next year, maybe I'll see you in the big blue water! I'm hoping to do WS next season as well.

Back
Top Bottom