I'm new to UW cameras and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phisher44

New
Reaction score
# of dives
This summer I plan to get at least diver certified with hope of becoming research diver certified later on. Before then I'd like to get a decent UW camera. I've been looking around the $300-$700 price range for a camera and casing but I'd also like to have a strobe. The camera packages I've been looking at are these:

Sealife Reefmaster DC500, 5.0mp

Sealife DC600, 6.1mp

Intova IC 600

Fuji A500

Canon A610

For starters anyways. What I want in a camera is the ability to just enjoy what's around me and not fuss with every shot but if I wanted to adjust something I want that choice. And as I'm brand new to this, I'm not sure if there are the same differences in cameras as in strobes. Is any brand of strobe better than another? And also what's a reliable online site to order from?

Anywho here's my basic needs in a camera:
-capable of point&shoot but also manual if need be
-compatible external strobe/flash
-$700 or less for the total package (camera, casing, strobe)
-reliable battery
-accepts large capacity memory cards (1-2gb)
-extra parts available to order if something needs replacing

Any input on the choices above or cameras I haven't mentioned would be much appreciated.

I have a Sea Life DC 600 with all the goodies. I have yet to get it wet (it's just been too cold for my liking). It seems to rake great pictures on the surface. As for that, I've been pleased. I will hopefully be able to get it into the water next weekend.

I had a DC500 and really liked it. As with any photo it is 90% operator 10% camera.
I found I could, (in the sunny Caribbean) get just as good of pic without the strobe...
turtle-1.jpg

My advice would be to pick the camera you like and are comfortable using (I like Canons). Then go to a website like www.reefphoto.com or www.bhphotovideo.com or www.helixcamera.com and do a search for a housing for that model. Most, but not all, major brands will have housing for many of their models. As far as strobe compatibility, most of the point and shoot cameras will sync the strobe and the camera with a fiber optic cable. It detects light from the camera's strobe and then tells the external strobe to fire. I have sometimes had trouble getting this to work, but many people have no problem. SLR models have housings available to to sync electronically with the camera and have TTL capability. This is very nice ... but be prepared to spend money as most SLR housings cost as much or more than the camera... and that doesn't include the strobes and different ports for the various lenses. I now use SLR, but I often miss having a point and shoot because these can usually shoot video (low quality) which is nice sometimes aafter you get a few shots to switch to video and get some footage. Hope this helps.

If you want to do this the easy way:

Canon A570 (7MP, AA batteries, image stabalization) $233 a Newegg
WP-DC12 housing $165 at Adorama
If you want the Sealife flash kit, Leisure Pro sells it for $239
Total: $637 plus shipping

I recommend the Canon A570IS because it has full manual control. Canon's have excellent image quality. This model has image stabalization. While not useful underwater, it's great for night time or zoom photos. Canon's image processing very good. The menu system is very intuitive. Changing white balance is very easy.

The A570IS will be fully supported by Inon, the people who make all the wide angle and macro lenses. The AD-mount adapter will be out soon (check their Japanese website). Inon also makes a great strobe system, but it will cost more than the camera and housing.

The Canon A610 is fine, as long as you get the Ikelite housing. Canon's housing for the A610 does not allow external lenses.

DesertEagle:
If you want to do this the easy way:

Canon A570 (7MP, AA batteries, image stabalization) $233 a Newegg
WP-DC12 housing $165 at Adorama
If you want the Sealife flash kit, Leisure Pro sells it for $239
Total: $637 plus shipping

So I think am going to with the 570, I went to Best Buy and tried some various cameras out. I looked for a strobe kit with it on leisure pro but could not find the one you were looking at. With this case: http://www.adorama.com/ICAWPDC12.html?searchinfo=canon a570&item_no=1
what strobes could I get? I don't want to pay the $400+ for this http://www.adorama.com/IK394447.html

any cheaper suggestions for strobes?

Back
Top Bottom