I'm NEVER going to complain about Kaiser Reef again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
OH MY GOODNESS!

Today we went for our first dive to the YO. Conditions were excellent. No current, vis about 60-70'ft. Lots of turtles, found a juv. Frogfish, lots of eels...Found another platinum ring :)D)....and at the end of the dive the sub came by.

For the second dive I heard the DM mention that we were going to Kaiser Reef. My heart sank. We usually don't go there because it is a just empty reef. If you get real lucky you get to see a shark over under the one overhangs...maybe a horned helmet...and that is about it.

The captain was telling us that at this and this heading you'll find a nice reef so we jumped in and started heading...somewhere. Lots of sand, a patch of coral here and there. On the one coral head I found a Green Lion fish and a leaf scorpion and a marble shrimp. I don't find very many green lions (have found maybe 4 or 5 in 4 years) and it was the first time I saw a marble shrimp. So I thought cool, not bad at all.

Then we swim a bit more and an eagle ray glides by. Rare to see them in shallow water...at the same moment we start hearing dolphins....we look the other way and this HUGE stingray goes by...my second stingray in 4 years...The tail alone was around 5' long, just beautiful...we follow him for a bit, until he speeds up and vanishes.

So we keep going...keep hearing the dolphins, getting louder now. We're always checking over our heads to see if we might see them.

We decide to head back, Scuba Drew passes a patch of coral and motions us to come and look...we look and there in the coral head are 5....F-I-V-E green lion fish, all different sizes...and a juv. Devils scorpion, looking so different without all the stuff growing on it.

After looking for a while we move on. Something catches my eye and I see an octopus...all spiky trying to blend in. When he realizes that I saw him he changes colors and starts to retract into his cave.....I call the others. Together we see the octopus sliding into the hole dragging the body of a peacock grouper after himself. Hard to tell if it made the kill or if it was eating leftovers...but it was just that jaw dropping moment ...How often do you get to see something like this?

So we return to the boat and finish up the dive.... THEN a pod (40 or so) of dolphins comes by....Naturally I was already on the boat - but I was still able to watch them hang around the surface.

To sum it all up, we don't really know where we were and might not find it again, but I'll never complain about Kaiser Reef again!

Sounds like an awesome dive! By the way that is my ring....:D

Sounds like a awsome dive, where are the pics :D I know you always take great pics also. Your dives sound nothing like my good old LAKE dives, get below 80 Feet and you need a flashlight.

It was awesome - as far as the experience goes it is way up there as one of my best dives.

I had my own guest with me, so I left the camera at home. Roger says I am pretty useless with a camera :blush: Drew took some video though. I hope he'll post a clip

@ stangscuba98a: I didn't know you were Chinese :wink:...I asked one of the people on the boat to take a look as there was something engraved on the inside, seems to be a female Chinese name. The ring is squished, almost flat - my guess there was a break up.

wow, I missed a good one!

All the critters come out for you, I am convinced...

Kaiser's reef by Kaiser's bowl surf break? Sounds like a good macro day...

Olivia is Chinese.....Woo Jia Ng something something

so MM, you're telling me you squished and lost your wedding band? :)

we call it Kaiser reef - Mike calls it Nautilus (sp?) reef, close to the harbor entrance -across from Kewalo surfers park.

justleesa:
We call it Kaiser reef - Mike calls it Nautilus (sp?) reef, close to the harbor entrance -across from Kewalo surfers park.

Interesting. How'd you come up with that: "Kaiser Reef"? I only know the names of two spots fronting the Kakaako Park area: "Point Panic" and "Incinerators" (which we used to call "Flies" from back when the garbage incinerator was in use and the winds used to blow the buzzies out into the lineup).

soooo true! I just hope that someday I'll be lucky and get to be that close to a humpback....I guess I'll just keep diving till it does :D

Back
Top Bottom