I'm doing this for a friend and having problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomboyy

Carnival ride inspector
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm doing the web site for a friend and can't seem to get it on google results. I'm not done yet but I was hopeing someone would look at the site and give me a opinion and also give me some tips about google. I did register the site with google and verify it ... webmaster tools said its not indexed ? any help would be nice :D

I'm doing the web site for a friend and can't seem to get it on google results. I'm not done yet but I was hopeing someone would look at the site and give me a opinion and also give me some tips about google. I did register the site with google and verify it ... webmaster tools said its not indexed ? any help would be nice :D

A link might help?

There's a couple things...

Indexing depends on google's schedule; it may not have crawled your site yet.

What search terms are you using to try to find it on google? Unfortunately the site name itself has the potential to cause a major problem for you, in that the term "T-Rex" has nothing whatsoever to do with the content of the site, so the likelihood of that term being organically associated with your site by google's methodology is infinitesimally small. In fact it's pretty close to 18,500,000 to 1, as that is the number of "tyrannosaurus rex" related results returned by google when using the search term "t-rex." So depending on the search term used you may well need to beat out all the other deer hunting sites AND all the dinosaur sites to show up in search results. Not to mention all of the Marc Bolan websites. (If you can remember the 60's you weren't there!)

Related to the above, you need to get your own spelling of the site name right. The URL contains "trex" as a text string, on the website you use "t-rex" as a text string, and in the link you posted here you use "t- rex" as a text string. Each is potentially treated by google as different search term. You're all over the place, which really hurts search results.

However the biggest problem you're going to have google's methodology itself. Most people don't understand that a major part of the magic of google's methodology is the fact that for any given site google lets "the internet" dictate the relevance of a site.

Huh?

One of the main ways google ranks organic search results is by looking at how many OTHER sites with similar content link to it. For example, when you type "pickup truck" into google, why is the F-150 sub-site on Ford.com ranked very high? Simple, there are millions of web pages about pickup trucks all over the web that link to the F-150 sub-site on Ford.com. Since all of these other sites about pickup trucks are pointing to this site, it MUST be relevant and credible. And it's even more sophisticated than that, because each referring site's web traffic and relevance scores are also calculated into the mix, so authoritative sites like edmunds.com, CarAndDriver.com, and the like really jack up the relevance of the F-150 sub-site on Ford.com.

I'm imagining that currently there aren't ANY sites linking to yours, much less any high-traffic sites that are authoritative, credible, and relevant.

Thanks for taking the time out to explain things some. My buddies been talking about doing this for 10 years and this is the first year he actually has product. He can't even send E-mail so you know he hasn't an idea about a web site.

He searched on Yahoo and said it was on the first page and that made him happy. I just checked and the site had almost 100 hits yesterday, thanks to the great people here on ScubaBoard :D

I guess I need to get him set up so he can sell something. Thanks again !

He searched on Yahoo and said it was on the first page and that made him happy. I just checked and the site had almost 100 hits yesterday, thanks to the great people here on ScubaBoard :D

But what's he searching for? If he's doing a search on the URL itself that's sort of meaningless, since anyone who knows the URL doesn't need to SEARCH for it.

:eyebrow:

I never did ask him what words he was using... I just used "site:www.trexgreatoutdoors.com" and site:trexgreatoutdoors.com and it doesn't show anything.

Back
Top Bottom