I'm back - Sharm report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania

Cousin Itt
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This time it were only 3 days of diving. I could take 2 days off. so I decided to go - after all 4 days are better than nothing - don't you think so? I went together with my buddy and a friend - simply 2 girls finally on their own :)))))
So first day - Saturday.
Sharks reef and Yolanda reef.
Our first dive. We didn't get much sleep the night before so we tried to have it an easy dive. And it was one. But immediatly almost after descending we met a turtle which we both love. So it made our day. A short while after w swam into a huge school of baracudas. It was something incredible - the first time I saw a school of that size - there must have been more than a hundred of them.
some of the divers got scared. I simply swam through them and thay made a space for me. Later on we again went to see the toilets and bathtubes and swam to Sattelite reef.
Second dive - Jackfish Alley
There are two nice caves. The entrance to the first one is at the depth of 5 meters, the exit at 9. This is lovely cave but there were too many divers with no skills of cave diving (not that i have any but at least I have bouyancy and frog kick). So they of course were finning at the bottom and I barely could see anything. Thanks God they haven't enter the second, more difficult one. Entrance is at 6 and exit at 14 meters. After doing the caves we met another turtle and like 5 minutes later a second one.
So it was a turtle day!!!!
Sunday - Tiran
Jakson reef
It was a jacuzzi dive. Too many divers and a poor giant muray looking for a place to hide. One of the guys i was swimming with almost lost his tank so I had to fix it underwater - somehow I did it although don't ask me how.
Woodhouse reef
This is one of the most beautiful reefs - over a mile long. It's a drift dive. On May we met there white tip sharks so we were wondering whether we have a chance to see them again. After something like 5 minutes I saw a shark but this time it was a leopard one. Rather big - he was around 10 meters below us but the vis was more than 20 meters so we could see him easily. We even tried to get a bit closer but he was swimming in the oposite direction so we would have to swim against the current. We gave up and continued the dive. 10 minutes later another leaopard shark!!!! This time a bit smaller than the first one. At the end of the reef - where boats are picking up divers there could be very strong whirling currents. My friend and I almost were caught by this current. It took us a lot of strengh to get away from it. We hyperventilated a bit so we had to stop to get the controll of our breathing. It was a bit scary but a very good lesson of handling the current. Bottom is at the depth of around 12 meters so you have to deflate jacket completly, get as close to the bottom as it's possible and then swim out of the current.
There is more story of this day but it would be in the Accidents part - today I'm too tired. Anyway - for the first time in my life i saw a person with DCS.

The last day - Monday
Again Tiran and again Jackson reef but from the other side. There reef is more beautiful and this is a drift dive. Despite the fact being a drift dive this is a very diffucult dive site. Current that takes you is quite strong. Great place for more advanced divers - you really even don't need to use your fins. But on the other hand you are almost helpless and a small mistake the current will take a diver far away from the reef. To be honest with you I like it and dislike it. I like being totally lazy but I don't like not having the control.
Last dive - Gordon Reef.
I was leading the dive because our instructor had some fresh OWD and we wanted to go a bit deeper than 12 meters. Hmmm I thought I knew the site but in a certain moment on the way back I was not sure whether i choose the right way. So i stopped everybody started checking the time we were swimming one way and the return. It looked to me that we are going in the right direction but we still have to go for more than 10 minutes. But we just passed the fixed mooring which I thought was the one. I decided on going and it was a good decision because couple of minutes later I already knew we are going in the right direction. I simply forgot that there are two moorings!!!! We have met there pepper murays - they are beautiful!!!!

And it was our last dive. Again we were lucky to see turtles and sharks!!!!
The last day my friend and I spent on the beach - as we laughed - being really on holiday!
Mania
PS. I landed today at 6:30 am (my time) and I didn't have much of the sleep on the plain. Almost straight from the plane I went to work so sorry guys - the accident I mentioned would be described tomorrow. Now my bath is full of equipment - rinsing it from the Red Sea is a hell of a job. But at least i have an excuse to skip the evening shower and go to bed. We call it "kids day"!!!
Mania

I did a liveaboard this August by northen route and I couldn´t agree more with you about the dive sites

Sharks reef and Yolanda reef - 2 big turtles, a huge school of baracudas, several napoleons and a very beautiful reef.

Jackson reef - too many divers

Thistlegorm, Small crack and shag rock - sara H - superb dives :luxhello:

On Thomas reef divers of my group (I skip that dive) saw a hammerhead shark :jump013:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom