Illegal dumping of lead/arsenic into waterways by SeaSoft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SO, thank you to all of those who have supported SEASOFT over the last 6 months. It has been rough. People tend to believe what they read and even worse it gets picked up and distorted and even fabricated.

We did pollute a gravel area that was 25' X 15' X 1' deep but we had
UNDERCURRENT ON-LINE MAGAZINE state and I quote, "...SEASOFT just dumped it, allowing it to eventually seep into the once-pristine waters of Puget Sound, as well as into aquifers."

Does a 25' x 15' x 1' deep gravel area sound like Puget Sound AND its aquifers? I have included a picture of the area in an enclosure.

Anyway, what I am so happy about today is that in approximately 10 days we will be filing a lawsuit against the Washington State Department of Ecology for libel and defamation because they released their sensationalized and mostly fictitious Press Release
even though they knew the truth. I look forward to our day in court.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 192
Seen this posted somewhere:
Well, that is quite interesting, isn't it? I know nothing about the Washington State inspectors, but that's a really hefty fine. I did look up their inspection history and both the inspection in August 2019 and December 2018 are "under appeal", so there is at least some prior history.
Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 8.11.43 AM.png

I just seen some stuff that I'm not going to post here - what I did post was a third violation, after seeing the inspection numbers above, you can tell it was a third violation..... Things don't look rosey

The three Ps of polluting
One of the guest was Dr. Bruce Halstead, who was to gain fame a few years later with the publication of his monumental 3 volume 1500 page work "Dangerous and Verminous Marine Animals of the world." Dr. Hallstead had just returned from a trip to Minamata Japan where there had been an emergence of a strange undetectable un treatable neurological affliction which for the lack of a better term was simply known at that time as the "Minamata disease. "

Sam Miller, III

Sam, did you mean "Dangerous Marine Animals" by Halstead? (First edition 1959). Did you make up the "verminous" part? :wink:

91P5bubbc7L.jpg

How does arsenic get in lead shot? If it's just inherent in it? How is that allowed? It was largely banned a long time ago.

[PROBLEMS WITH LEAD SHOT
Problems with the use of lead shot were discovered by extensive testing during the 1970s and 1980s. This resulted in a phasing out of lead shot as an allowable waterfowl load from 1986 to 1991. Waterfowl and other birds can die if they eat even very small amounts of spent lead shot. Swans are the most visible evidence of lead poisoning, due to their habit of feeding deep within wetlands that have lead pellets still remaining from past hunting seasons. Lead-poisoned ducks and other birds carrying embedded lead shot also are known to cause poisoning in other species. For example, bald eagles and other raptors can be poisoned by feeding on other wildlife carrying or containing lead shot. Problems in other wildlife species have also been recently documented]

Soft weights for divers: They are ubiquitous, not just a Seasoft product. After using them awhile I noticed a milky exudate came out when rinsed. I just figured that had to not be good and I was contributing to the problem. I don't know what the actual chemical makeup is, if it's toxic, or if it's a serious contributor to lead problem, but it doesn't feel right. This is happening everywhere soft lead is being used for weights. I've gone to hard lead weights. But soft shot is still readily available and used commonly. Are divers contributing to this issue?

I have checked out using tungsten for weight. WOW!!! $$$$
Doesn't seem like a viable alternative. Is there one that is cost effective? Hard or coated lead seem the most viable for now.
What about zinc?
Zincs on boats, the big plate they use on the transom called “divers dream”. They also have all sorts of other configurations. Zinc is not quite a heavy as lead but it’s still pretty heavy and can be melted down easily and poured into weight belt moulds.
Combine that with a super heavy stainless backplate and you could be lead free.

I have my late father’s copy of the 1959 First Edition. Mint condition. I have the 3 set too. Don’t care about value. Not selling any.

I also have a first edition (signed) of JLB Smith’s Fish of Southern Africa. Includes description and illustrations of the Coelacanth. My father collected antiquarian books. Richard Pyle wanted that from me a few years ago!

It was your use of verminous which was quite amusing :p

Back
Top Bottom