Iklite case costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Ikelite for my video camera; I've had it over 200' and it works just fine. I also have the Olympus housing for my 8080 - so similar to the Canon housing I'd bet they're made by the same folks. It's just fine for normal recreational depths but I wouldn't even think of taking it deeper than its 130' rating.
Rick

I've had Canon and Ike housings, and there is really no comparison: The quality of the Ike housing is MUCH better. I would have no fear taking the Ike housing deep, and while some I know have taken the Canon's deeper than they are rated for, the plastic does not inspire the confidence in me to do so.

The stainless latches are one thing I first loved about the Ike case. They're great! WAY better than the plastic snaps on the Canon.

The back plate on the ike is one piece, and you can clearly and easily see the o-ring all the way around. The Canon's o-ring view is blocked in many places.

The Ike is better suited for adding on external lenses, has more options as well as more attachment options. Not all of the Canons can even handle an external lens, and those that do require an adapter.

The Ike is a 2-piece design welded together by those latches. It comes apart in two separate pieces to easily clean every nook. The Canon is held by the plastic latch on one side and a hinge on the other. Strong enough, I know, based on my own use and many other happy users, but be forewarned that if you do shore diving sand will get into the hinge and there is no way to clean it out, leaving you with a case that makes a horrible, scary crunchy-scrapey sound everytime you open/close it.

The Canon wins on a couple of levels, however. The flash diffuser works better, as I think the Ike case is really designed to be used with a strobe. It also has a nice little thread/retainer, unlike the Ike which is held on by spring compression, making nearly everyone I've talked to have at least one close call or outright lost diffuser. (I jury rigged a little keeper system for mine after the one close call)

The Canon case also fits nicer in your hand for one-handed shooting, while again, the Ike seems more designed to work with a handle/tray and strobe.

In a similar vein, the Canon comes with a good wrist strap, or you can easily attached a better system such as a coil lanyard or retractor. The Ike housings come with a horrid rubber strap that I don't trust for a second. Without spending extra money on a tray and handle, there is no good way to attach a different lanyard or other retention system.

Once you add the handle/tray to the Ike, it is even more of a huge brick than before. Not a big deal in many cases, but if you're looking for a fun little camera to take on vacation, or perhaps hiking along a waterfall, you're now faced with a big chunk of hardware, making the Canon case more versatile for non-scuba use.

And the Canon, of course, is a LOT cheaper.

There are tradeoffs for everything. Ideally I'd have both, so I could switch back and forth depending on mood and planned use.

can the ike cases be mounted to a tray with a standard tripod mount screw?

azcaddman:
P1000215-s.jpg

Just looking at the photo's one can easily see why the Ike housing is more expensive. SS buttons as opposed to plastic, large metal knurled knobs as opposed to again plastic, and just a more robust housing overall.

I have a Canon housing for my S70, and it works well. That can be said of anything right up to the point it does NOT work well! :D

I have an Ike housing for my DSLR. It is very robust, and for the $$$ IMO the best housing on the market. However Ike is hardly the Ferrari of housings.

I think if you are diving on a regular basis with a camera, and looking for a robust solution, get the Ike. If you dive with a camera on a trip or two a year, the Canon is fine.

One thing to consider about Ike is that you will be able to get it serviced. If the Canon leaks for any reason other than the main ORing, it is likely considered disposable at that point as repair will cost as much or more than replacement. Ike backs their product with very good service, and they can recondition their housings replacing all the Orings and anything else they find wrong for a reasonable price.

I'm not sure if the Ike cases use standard tripod mount screws or not. Depends on the threading; I've never tried it, as I've only attached it to Ike's tray. I suspect the threads may be standard tripod screw-compatible, but since there are two of them (one on each side, see pictures linked in azcaddman's post) it would not mount to anything tripod-oriented in a properly centered fashion as neither are in the center.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom