Iklite case costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ikelite housings are about 3 times as thick, much stronger, rated for more depth. At least up until now, Ikelite has also stood behind their products better than anyone in the industry. Anyone have any dealings since Ike's death?

I can't believe the company would change the very foundations laid by Ike and I would continue to expect the best service and great innovation from them.

Ikelite cases are more robust but has never been an issue for me so I have continued to use Canon. The downsides to the Ikelites, for me, are too big and bulky for my needs and those snaps are scary! The ones on my recent Fuji 810 Ike loved to try to pinch...

Be aware that some models of Canon housings do not allow you to use add on lenses (like the ones from Inon) as they have oval ports. Double check before you buy if you may want to add lenses in future. All Ikelite housings accept add on lenses no muss, no fuss so this may be a deciding factor for you.

We'll I just got my first Ikelite housing (thanks Santa!) and was extraordinarily impressed with the bulletproof construction and quality of buttons, switches and levers and other hardware. You can't tell how thick the walls are on the thing till you open it up for the first time.

Yes, it's big and heavy, but I understand it in approx. neutral in water.

I'm itching to get it in the water for some practice before I try more serious stuff with it. I desperately need some pool time at least!

Olympus SP-350 is the camera BTW. Housing cost twice as much as the camera!

Here's a couple pictures showing the A640 ike housing, next to the Canon S70 housing, there isnt that big a difference in size, less than 1" in each direction, what makes it seem larger, is when you attach them to the base tray, and strobe arms

P1000213-s.jpg

P1000215-s.jpg

P1000216-s.jpg

if you think Ikelite housings are expensive, look at dslr housings by nexus, aquatica etc.

Thanks fo rthe pics!! that really puts it in perspective. I just ordered the Cannon though for my A620. I guess time will tell...

When I was buying my first motorcycle helmet I asked the dealer what was the difference between the $50 and the $200 helmets. He said "Well, do you have a $50 dollar head or a $200 head?" I guess that doesn’t answer your question, but when compared side by side there is a difference. I guess it’s up to you to decide if it is worth the difference in cost.

That's not a fair comparison. The camera in the Ikelite case is the same size as the other housing :)

6 years of abusing my Ikelite housing, and not a leak. (knock on wood)

I've left it in the sun, left it in the bucket, it's taken some hard knocks. Excellent product with great support at the end of the phone.

I am saddened Ike is gone...I actually spoke to him late one night when he answered the phone at midnight. What an enthusiastic man, with a love for his product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom