ikelite vs ulcs strobe arms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any opinion (naw!) on the relative merits of the Ikelite ball and socket strobe arm set (on an Ikelite housing) against the Ultralight set up? The Ikelite system looks similiar, and appears cheaper, or is this just another case of getting what you pay for? Any ideas? Woody

WOODMAN:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any opinion (naw!) on the relative merits of the Ikelite ball and socket strobe arm set (on an Ikelite housing) against the Ultralight set up? The Ikelite system looks similiar, and appears cheaper, or is this just another case of getting what you pay for? Any ideas? Woody

I've used the TLC/Aquatica arms and find them superior to Ikelite. They are worth
the few $$ extra.

cdoyal:
I've used the TLC/Aquatica arms and find them superior to Ikelite. They are worth
the few $$ extra.

Lets keep this apples to apples...

This arm has been around forever, is very inexpensive, but I don't personally like it:
ds50stdpkg.jpg

Then Ikelite started using 1.25" ball systems, which had lots of holding power for big strobes.. (no pic)

Now, these arms are most popular:
armonesys.jpg

I would say these are equal to TLC arms, both have 1" diameter ball arms, and similar holding power. While they have enough holding power for in-water use, don't expect any arm to hold a big strobe out of the water.

My personal preference are arms from www.ulcs.com. The O-Ring in the ball joint allows greater holding power with less clamp tension, wich allows me to dive with the clamps adjusted loosely, but still hold strobe position better than locline. When I'm in a current, or moving around a lot after big stuff, I can tighten down the clamps for lock-down holding power.

I have both Ikelite arms (that came with DS125 deluxe package) and ULCS arms and Ryan's comment about the o-ring in ball joint was dead on. However, one thing that I like about Ikelite arm is that there are 2 separate dials/knobs for each joint. The big knob will let you loosen the joint enough to manipulate the arm but you can't loosen it enough so that the joint will fall apart. To take the arm apart, you will need to loosen the 2nd dial which require coin or large screw driver. While I never turn the ULCS knob the wrong way far enough to have the joint fall apart on me, I could see that I will be stupid enough to do it one of these days. After saying that, overall, I still prefer ULCS arm for exactly the same reason as Ryan's.

Ryan:
My SS-200's say they do....

The rubber oring has nothing to do with holding the arms in place! The oring is there to give the arm movement, a “smoother” feel and travel during strobe adjustments, when the clamps are loose. When the screw clamps are tighten (holding, lock position etc.) there is a hundred psi of pressure between the clamp and the ball, it only takes a couple of pounds to squash an oring. To the clamp and ball the oring is not even there!

In fact the oring will REDUCE the holding power somewhat, because the oring groove is decreasing the metal-to-metal surface area contact of the clamp and ball joint.

The only way that oring will affect the holding power, is if it were made of the same hardness and surface roughness as the clamp and ball… or made out of epoxy glue! Ikelite has been imbedding orings on their strobe joints from as far as I can remember.

I say save your money towards an extra dive day and get the less expensive arm.

Originally Posted by ikeCrazy ike contends the "O" ring does NOT increase holding power............
My SS-200's say they do....__________________www.reefphotovideo.comryan@reefphotovideo.comrc@ryancanon.com

ike:
Crazy ike contends the "O" ring does NOT increase holding power............

I agree, Orings allow the arms to be easier to fine tune the resistance BUT do not improve the holding power

I use Ike, TLC and Ultralite. I got the TLC and Ultralite arms before Ike came out with the new arms with the smaller ball. I do like the smaller ball design for Macro.

As for holding power, I shoot a lot in heavy currents, Palau being a very good example

Anyway after trying to use my TLC/UCLS arms and having my strobes get "blown" over backwards at the Blue Corner in Palau, I went back to using the Ike system for my wide angle rig.

The greater holding power is due to the very heavy duty clamp assembly the Ike arms can be "locked" in position. trying to do this with the other brands results in the clamp being damaged ( the clamp socket flares ) and actually loses even more holding power.

Back
Top Bottom