Ikelite vs Olympus Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobArnold8265

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have asked several questions the past week and have gotten many great responses. I am an old Nikonos user trying to learn some new tricks. I have decided on buying a C-8080 camera but am now debating what housing to buy. The Oly housing is certainly attractive based on price but I have heard that the Ikelite housings are more durable. I would appreciate opinions from those of you who use either of these housings. What do you think of the housing you use ? Would you buy another ? Have you ever had any problems with your housing ? Etc.

Bob

Similar Thread

I posted my reply there. In summary, buy the Ike housing. For the 8080, the Ike housing will not allow you to use the internal flash, though. The Oly housing does, but it increases the housing size considerably.

David

Does money matter in your decision?

If your housing floods or your camera dies for other reasons you will be left with a housing that accommodates no other camera model.

Are you willing to eat the cost of the Ikelite housing if you can't find a replacement camera?

Gilligan,

Thnak you for your reply. Yes, like most people, I'm not independantly wealthy so money does matter. I guess the fundamentel question is one of construction and quality. I'm not the type of person who "trades up" very often. I'd like to find a set-up that will last a while. So I guess the question that I am really asking everyone is how well do the Oly housing hold up compared to the Ikelites ? Has anyone had problems with either brand of housing ? Which housing is more likely to leak ? Those are te kind of questions that are going through my mind.

Any housing can flood and usually from user error. As they say in the hobby, it's not if but when.

I use an Oly PT-010 housing. I have two of them and two C4000Z cameras. Like you, I don't plan on upgrading so I bought a backup camera as well as a second housing.

I flooded one of the housings once and trashed a camera. User error no doubt as nothing was wrong with the housing. I replaced the camera with a re-furbished one for around $200. Both my original cameras were re-furbs. Never had a problem with any of them. I have taken thousands of photos with them.

The Ikelite housing can be taken to deeper depths if that matters.

The biggest factor in favor of the Ikelite housings is parts availability coupled with their excellent service. While some may disagree, I think the Ike housings are better built.

Ike has some housings for under $300. for some of the point and shoot cameras like the Fuji E900. If it came to a choice between a Fuji housing and the Ike housing for about a $50. or so difference then the Ike housing wins hands down.

However, when it comes to several hundred dollars difference then you have a more difficult decision. If you go with the Ike housing I think you should buy an extra camera while they are still available if you plan on staying with that setup for a long time.

Hi,
better used ikelite
..cuz 2 of my friend who used oly housing,floaded down there..esp for 8080,but for other series (the smaller size ) its okay to used oly housing..i used oly housing too for my 5050,also my friends before they upgrade into 8080,and they have trouble when used oly housing..its leak from the front

I dont say that oly housing bad...but not durable as ikelite housing..esp for bigger camera....
and yes...ikelite housing more expensive than oly housing..but i think when you use the better series 8080,its worth it to buy better housing.
Good luck down there. :wink:

I have used Ikelite housings exclusively for my Olympus C-3040,4040 and just ordered one for my C-7070. They are incredibly durable and have never had any issues with them. About the only maint. I have had to do is replace metal ring connectors(forget what they are called) which hold the external buttons in place after about 3 years of use. The housings are also pretty easy to get rid of on Ebay if/when you decide to upgrade. Looking forward to TRUE TTL, RAW, and my DS-125 strobe upgrade(from DS-50). Anyone have any comparison from personal use of both the DS-50 and DS-125?

I have both. I only use my Ike. The major weakness is user o-ring abuse. The Ike has one body o-ring, the oly has four (two body and two port rings). That means that the Oly may be four times more prone to operator floods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom