Ikelite substrobe ds-50 vs. ds-125?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnhill

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering putting together an OLY system 5050 or 5060. I have looked at the Ikelite strobes and do not know if the power of the 125 strobe is overkill or not. I have spoken to B&H and they recommend the Ikelite system for the 5060 because they claim to have "cracked the code" for the oly TTL requirements.

I know there are a lot of ways to go, perhaps that is why i am so confused.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

dnhill

If you go with Ikelite housing for C5060, you will get hardwired TTL connection which is quite nice. Not absolutely essential but still handy to have. I am still waiting to see if Ikelite will make the same TTL option available for C5050 or not.
DS 125 is the way to go for primary strobe, in my opinion. It has a very quick recycle time, the battery is good for at least 2-3 dives and the built in modeling light is quite nice as well.
Occsionally it is a bit too powerful especially for macro that I actually has to pull the strobe away from the subject a bit more (this is with ISO 64, F8, shutterspeed of 1/1000, strobe set in 1/8 power in manual mode, happened a few times).

Make sure you get the deluxe package as the Smart charger is a must and the deluxe arm is much more flexible than the standard arm.

#6130.55 will be housing for 5050 with the new deciphered Olympus TTL system and be available by end of February. Upgrade for older 5050 housings may be available when we get caught up............

Thanks for the information, it was informative.

dnhill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom