Ikelite strobe package for sea & sea MMII EX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark s

Reaction score
I have a sea & sea MM II EX with no accessories and I was wondering if the Ikelite strobe package offered by Leisure Pro was any good. It's alot cheaper than the sea & sea if you have to buy them seperate. Anyone have any experience with this?

Mark,

I will make one assumption: you are comparing the Sea & Sea YS-60 TTL/S to the Ikelite 50s.

There are some differences, but both strobes are excellent, in my opinion. I am testing my memory a little here, but as I remember from my strobe-buying days the YS-60 is a little more powerful--i.e., has somewhat large GN.

However, the Ikelite cycles faster--i.e., is ready to take the next picture sooner...about 1/2 second as I remember.

They both fire about the same number of flashes per set of batteries.

Some photographers and salesmen in photo shops think the Ikelite is a little more awkward to use. I cannot comment on that.

The YS-60 has a little larger coverage angle and,so, will be better for wide angle.

But I want to stress that both strobes have excellent reputations among the photographers that I have met.

You did not mention the difference in price, but I suggest that you try more than one source. For Sea & Sea products, I have found that Berger Bros are great. Their URL is http://www.bergerbrothers.com . They also carry Ikelite.

I hope this helps.

Joewr..feeling a little rushed.............

Back
Top Bottom