Ikelite SLR housing users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mejamman

New
Reaction score
I have a Canon 20D in an an IKelite housing. Was using it for the first time in Bonaire a few months ago. Had a 60mm macro and a 5502 flat port. Third dive I had a port lock open and flooded.
I had the camera and lens insured against flooding by DEPP but not the housing. (they were great) They replaced the 20D with a 40D and my lens within 30 days. Since the 20D had been discontinued, could not get another. My delema, a 40D won't work in a 20d housing. Called Ikelite, all they could do for me was replace the electonics in the 20D housing for $250. So I did that and purchased a refurbihed 20 D for underwater.

Question: Is it possible to tighten the port lock guide screws just snug after installing the port every time so this does not happen again?

Thank in advance for your time. Mike

Hmmm. I've never had a port lock open after it clicked in but I would be careful tightening the screw too tight. Did you have Ike look at the port locks when the did the electronics?

The flat port locks area very trustworthy design that I never hear complaints about. Most people complain about the latches when used with the big dome.

I suspect that you didn't slide the latch over enough such the cap didn't snap down into place. Once it snaps down, you can't slide the latch open without pulling up the cap. If you secure it properly, I don't see how it could ever come open.

My guess would be that you didn't latch it properly. This would be more likely to occur since you were new to the housing. It would be easy to slde the latch over but not secure it. The two positions look very similar.

In summary, the design is very secure if you take the time to double check your work.

Good luck with your repaired rig.

David

Nikon D80 in an Ikelite housing

Sorry that happened. I'm using an Ike housing for my Oly E330, so far without issues. Just out of curiosity: Did you find any damage to the portlock, such as a screw that broke out of the threading, or something like that? I'm just wondering whether something actyally broke or whether there may be a chance the portlock wasn't locked in place. From experience, I know that it can be hard to tell whether the lock has snapped all the way into position. I always make extra sure I hear the click and then I wiggle back and forth on the lock to really, really make sure it has locked into place. Just from looking at it, you can't tell and there IS a possibility that you slide the lock all the way into position but it doesn't actually engage fully unless you double-check. I had a similar, if harmless, experience when I tried my new housing for the very first time. Then I didn't know that you have to tighten down the ring screws on the strobe cord bulkheads ALL the way down. The bulkhead connector on my housing was a little stiff, probably from a minor irregularity in the production process. As a result, the strobe cord plug didn't screw all the way down but became impossible to tighten without the help of a towel before it actually set all the way down. I didn't think anything about it, tightened it as much as I could with my bare hands and jumped in the pool When I came out, blue gue from electrolysis was seeping out of the connection. I then realized one has to not only tighten the bulkhead connectors, but screw them ALL the way down. I guess when you start out with any sort of new equipment, things like this are just bound to happen. Good luck in the future!

Thanks for the replies. Actually what happened was the camera was handed down to me by a dive instructor and when I surfaced the port came off. As I understand, pressure will hold the port in place while at depth. I triple checked the port locks before the dive as I was a bit leery that there are only two of them. They were snapped in the down position. Talked to the pro photographer a the resort and he told me that this was the 8th Ikelite SLR housing he had seen flood this year. Granted it was the end of Dec. 07 but that’s allot. He explained that with a flat port the locks are vulnerable to accidental release. The dome port sort of shields them from direct downward access. We think the instructor bumped or snagged the lock and the fastener popped up. When I surfaced it came completely loose and the port came off. When I came home (you should try this too) I took a strap and pulled it across the port lock from the inside nearest the port and it unlocked. So I am trying to come up with a solution. Ikelite cannot add more locks, although it would solve the problem. I thought a piece of surgical rubber around the ports would work, but not so sure. Than I realized if you slightly snug the lock guide screws they won't move. Thoughts?

Thank you, Mike

I wouldn't over tighten the port lock screws. I think you're on to something wit surgical tubing. Maybe try finding the perfect size rubber band or cutting some bicycle tire tubing, or something similar to hold them in place.

Hmmmm. I have over 700 dives on my Ike with no problems and it's been knocked around a lot in heavy sea conditions. The only flooding incidents that I have talked to the owners about have been human error.

I looked at my housing with the dome port on and it seems that if they got snagged, even surgical tubing might not help. I agree the design could be better but I don't think it should be a problem with fairly careful handling. Personally, I would not do any tightening of the screws...

Hello all

I have recently invested in a complete Ikelite system to suit my Nikon D40. I am new to housed DSLRs and I have spent many hours "bonding" with my new gear before I even got it wet.

One comment I have on the design of the housing is the method of attaching the port locks to the housing. From an engineering point of view, it seems very vulnerable because of the small amount of self-tapping threads (around 6mm) that hold the port locks in place. Bear in mind that there is an awful lot of leverage applied to the locks from side to side movement of the 8" dome and also the macro extensions and flat ports.

I would really like to see either more locks (at least 3) and also some method of through bolting the port locks. There is ample room inside the housing to accommodate a method similar to that of the tray mounting screws underneath the housing.

Apart from this, the setup looks and feels very robust.

I guess one must be careful in handling the rig but it is hard to rely on sometimes inexperienced boat crew to handle your gear with the same care as you would.

I would appreciate any comments or ideas about this.

Regards

Joe
Perth Australia

Well, even though I agree the port locks could have a better deign or more of them, I have heard of very few problems and none from others I know with an Ike housing. Mine has gone through a lot, including rough handling, with no problems.

I'm not saying it can't happen, just that I have never had a problem nor have others I know.

That is reassuring to hear. I'll just take my time checking o-rings etc before going in. Thanks for your comment.

Cheers

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom