Ikelite Silicone question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwscubamom

Contributor
Reaction score
With my new Ikelite housing, I got a teensy little single-use type tube of lube. Ikelite brand. The directions clearly state that you need to use Ikelite brand silicone grease to prevent the O-ring from swelling. I had been using Sea&Sea silicone grease with my old (Sea&Sea) camera.

519401373_LmiZn-M.jpg

top: Sea&Sea silicone-easily spread, middle: Canon silicone for their housings-about the same consistency, bottom: Ikelite silicone-very,very thick and hard to spread.

The tear-off Ikelite grease is a pain. There's no way to reseal it once you use it, and although it would look like it's single-use, it's not. There's quite a bit of lube in there. So once it's open, it can now squoosh out and all over everything. Give me a tube with a lid please!

Well, doing an internet search today it would appear that Ikelite ONLY makes the 'single-use' type tubes. Four for about $2.

Anyone know if there's something else that works well, or do you stick to these pain-in-the-toosh little containers?

- Janna

Last edited:
Only Use ikelite grease with ikelite orings. Any other grease the oring swells up in size. Put the grease in a zip lock bag so it does not make a mess.

There are many compatible greases for many kinds of o-rings. If you use the tribolube/christolube/molykote greases which are perfluoro ether based, they will not swell any kind of o-rings. In general (maybe universally true) the housing guys don't make grease they buy it depending on what the o-rings are made of. In any case it certainly isn't true that any other grease will swell ike o-rings, there are many that don't. What we do is buy some contact lens cases and fill them with the various greases that we might need on a trip. Label carefully and make sure you label the bottoms and not just the lids which can get split up.

Bill

I second weeksd's suggestion to just stick with what Ikelite recommends and use their grease. Little "Ziplock" baggies work well to hold the little clear tubes.

FYI, I use a Plano Stowaway ProLatch box to keep all my u/w photo stuff in - there's a little compartment just for Ikelite grease (in the baggies), and it works great - keeps my stuff organized and clean.

Back
Top Bottom