ikelite housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
just wondering if the ikelite housings are any good??

Only kind I've even owned. I'd say YES, they are very good.

Bought my first Ikelite housing in 1971 for a tiny Kodak 110 film camera. Had a wild (at least I thought so at the time) little hot shoe extension so that you could use a "flash cube" (remember those ???) on the outside of the housing. Pretty elementary by today's standards but I gotta tell ya ...I got some pretty neat shots, all things considered.

I just contacted Ikelite about a leaking housing that they discontinued probably five years ago. They responded and said a new o-ring is in the mail.

I've had this thing since about 1988 and this is the first problem that I have had with it since I purchased it.

of course I baby it and keep it in the padded case for it all the time.

Got about 80 dives on mine and have had no issues at all in the year that I have had it.

I just bought my first housing. I narrowed down my search to either Ikelite or Fantasea and after doing a lot of reading on both, decided to go with Fantasea. They are twice cheaper and provide free fload insurance ( a big selling point). What I am saving by going with Fantasea pays for the camera (a Nikon P5000) that will go in it. Can't really beat that. Also the Fantasea case looks a bit more compact than the Ikelite one. However the Ikelite one is better looking and it seems that it would be easier to handle with thick gloves on.

I have owned several and I just purchased one. In my opinion, the housings with changeable ports are an accident waiting to happen. I would never, again, put an expensive camera in such a 2nd rate system. On the other hand the housings with a door or a snap on back and permanent port are excellent.

The comments about good customer support are well founded.

Aloha
Siki

Back
Top Bottom