Ikelite Housing pressing on S95 LCD Screen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indigo Scuba Africa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi

I got my Ikelite housing for my brand new Canon S95 last night. It is the correct housing, I checked.

Being a perfectionist I followed the Ikelite housing instructions 100% when putting my camera into the housing the first time.

I put the "cog" on the front of the camera, pushed the camera into the housing as far as it would go and made sure the cog system was working.

I closed the back of the camera. Locked the housing and switched on the camera.

The lense cap was still on and I immediately saw that to the bottom rhs of the LCD screen and up the side of the screen a "light" whilst the rest of the screen was black. It appears that the rubber that goes around the LCD screen on the inside of the housing was pushing quite hard on the rhs edge of the LCD screen and making it light up (sorry, no other way to describe it). When I pushed the DISP button, it lit up even more.

When I took the lense cover off the front of the housing, it was less noticeable over the image showing on the screen.

I am really concerned this will damage the camera. Has anyone else got this problem? I am so protective (anal!) over my camera gear and am afraid I am going to break the camera screen.

Anyone else have the same problem and what did you do?

Thanks!
:(

Interesting you should post this issue now. Just returned from Komodo with my Ike/S90 setup, essentilly the same thing as yours. Somewhere in my past I was a prototype machinist, and came away with a fair understanding of how stuff fits together. So anyway, I loaded my S90, carefully, I thought, before a dive, and when I surfaced, there was a crack down the right side of the screen. Canon says it's the result of "impact or pressure", and wants $150.00 to fix it. Haven't brought the issue to Ikelite's attention yet, but I will soon. Not happy, and don't know how it will be resolved, but I'm unconvinced this is a perfectly mated setup.

Hi

This is really disappointing for you! Thank you for the warning. The last thing I want is a cracked screen and endless hassles and finger pointing. Will not use the camera until I have spoken to Ikelite.

I hope your problem is resolved quickly - and not at your expense!!

In the meanwhile you spent a holiday without your camera :depressed:

Please keep us updated as I am certain you and I are not the only ones out there!

Try turning the gear on the front lens over (flipping it). Otherwise return it to Ikelite for adjustment. I have seen a few of these (mostly early s90) that had the port in too far and it was binding the gear. You could take off the foam shade as well, not sure if that will make a difference.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I've taken the cog off completely and still have the same problem. Before that the cog was turning fine in the housing with no resistance either.

I'm just wondering whether they stuck the wrong foam shade in the housing? Will need to take a drive to Cape Town and visit Ikelite for them to have a look. Just difficult in between diving and classes at the moment - this is our busy season!

If anyone else has had this problem and been able to fix it, I'd really like to hear from them.

Thanks!
:D

I'm just wondering whether they stuck the wrong foam shade in the housing? :D

In my case, the housing arrived with the original hard plastic shade. I learned immediately thereafter that there was a foam replacement available. I got that from Ikelite and installed it before I ever loaded the camera into the housing, so I'm assuming that, at least for my housing, it's the correct part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom