Ikelite housing lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReyeR once bubbled...
Alan, in your opinion, how does the Olympus PWC-01 rate along with the S&S and Inon? I'd be interested in a WAL for my PT-015 soon.... :)

I think this is the question. I'm interested too as this is probably the next thing I'm going toadd to my PT-015 rig.

If someone would explain the whole TTL thing, what it is, why I need it, and all that stuff -- in simple terms --that would be very helpful.

1. TTL means "thru the lens": flash exposure is determined by the camera. Most digitals have a sensor that measures the strobe light being reflected/returned from the subject and shuts the flash off when enough light has been measured.

2. You don't need it. A lot of people shoot strictly manual. I prefer to have the choice, and have been happy with TTL underwater. BUT, I have a camera that uses a sync cord to connect housing to strobe. I've only played around with one remote sensor, so I can't say anything negative about them in general....

Some questions for you:

1. Does the ikelite housing for olympus have a flash deflector mounted inside? It would be near the flash when the housing is "closed up", and probably mounted with double-sided foam tape.

2. Where is the flash sensor on the 3040?

3. Make sure the flash deflector on the housing does NOT cover, or even come close to covering, the flash sensor.

It might not be an issue with that camera, but it was with my Nikon.

Alan, in your opinion, how does the Olympus PWC-01 rate along with the S&S and Inon? I'd be interested in a WAL for my PT-015 soon....

RyeR.. from just playing with the lens topside. I find the Olympus PWC-01 to be by top choice.

The PWC-01 lens does not have a limitation. It will alllow you to shoot from full wide to close focus wide angle shot. I didn't notice any distortion, blurry edges and circular effect on the lens. Foreground, background and subject is sharp as a tack.

Any particular reason for the preference of the Sea and Sea?

Meredith,

I prefer the Sea and Sea lens over the INON because I feel confident that the lens will definitely fit the housing plus it's a lot more versatile lens than the INON. Not a lot of limitation. Excellent lens for CFWA shots:) Ask Dee!!! She'll tell ya :) A lot lighter than the INON UWL-100 type 2 lens.

Whats your preference on a strobe? YS-90 or the ds-125? This is all so confusing to a newbie underwater photographer like myself. I need all the help and advice I can get! I need simplicity!!

Can't really comment on the DS125 strobe, I don't have any experience with the Ikelite strobe.

I do have plenty of experience using the YS90DX and in my opinion, it's really up to you. Both strobes are superior and will give you good results.

Hope this helps....

Allan

Thaanks Allan! Can I bug you with a coulpla more questions:

from just playing with the lens topside
1. So we can presume that you can attach the Olympus WAL to the PT-015 housing and use it topside? I couldn't do that with the S&S WAL + Sony P5 adapter + Sony P5 Marine Pack as the water wouldn't stay in the gap.

The new INON UWL-100 Dome Port is designed for the INON UWL-100 wide achromat type 1 or type 2 lens.
2. This looks interesting. I don't know much about dome ports, so how does this attach to say, the PT-015, along with the UWL-100 WAL?

Ok, here's my stupid questions again....what is a dome port and what does it do?

Make sure the flash deflector on the housing does NOT cover, or even come close to covering, the flash sensor.
If the C4040 and C5050 are anything to go by as successors of the 3040 it would be safe to assume that the flash sensor is TTL and not on the body like some of the Nikon and Sony cameras. I think the Ikelite housing comes with an external diffuser(blocker) that's mounted on the housing's lens barrel.

Back
Top Bottom