IKelite Housing for D800, Any Reviews or Feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff, I think you need to re-read what Davis said in his post. He did not say that he has never seen an Ikelite housing flood, only that all housings flood and I would say most are a result of pilot error to which I think David would argee.

Ikelite has been in business for fifty years so they must be doing somthing right and one of those things is that they are like the Ford or Chevy of the industry, not to high priced and not so cheep that no one would want to buy one.

This may not be your first choice or mine but that does not stop them from being a large seller of housings around the world. If you have way more housings in the field than some other brands you will likely have more floods as well.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil

Hope you are doing well. Really learned a lot from the macro seminar! I have not eliminated the OM-D option (that new macro lens looks really nice!), but I have sold some gear so might have other options, so wanted to ask about the Ike/D800 combo as a possible "ultimate" choice (I do a lot of above-water landscape work as well). I don't have unlimited budget and for the price of a nauticam d800 housing alone, I can get an ike with wide and macro ports, tray, and flash. Do I "like" the Subal/Nauticam better, you bet! Can I pay a $2500-3500 premium (once you add the more expensive ports)? That is not so easy.

Don't understand what has happened to the thread, even to the point of ME being called a flamer? What is going on here? All I asked for was some insight as to this particular camera in the housing especially as to access to photo and video controls. I know the general "goods and bads" of Ikelite but every camera is different and I thought, because Ike was one of the first with a d800 housing, that some people might be using it and have some constructive (good or bad) information about it.

I guess I will go to Reef and see if they will put a D800 in an Ike housing in the store so I can find out for myself. Maybe then I will post some useful info here based on what I learn.

Guy, I did a quick google search for Nikon D800 ikelite housing reviews and found at least two there.

Phil

---------- Post Merged at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Guy, I did a quick google search for Nikon D800 ikelite housing reviews and found at least two there.

Phil

Ike's strobe arms and clamps are crap, but there are tons of great arms and clamps from ULCS and others.

Having had a number of Ikelite housings, as well as a couple of aluminium housings, and lots of Ikelite strobes, I agree with almost every word you wrote, both as regard the positive and and the negative aspects, but I don't agree with your criticism of Ikelite arms and clamps. I've had ULCS arms (both standard and buoyancy) and clamps as well as Sea & Sea's, among others, and Ikelite's work just fine for me. I honestly see no reason to pay a lot more for ULCS, for example.
By the way, the problem of pressing the shutter release half way when wearing thick gloves was just as great with my two Sea & Sea housings, although I cannot understand why Ikelite cannot redesign the lever.

Last edited:
The requirement for port locks on a housing to prevent accidental flooding is a non-issue with threaded ports. Just screw on tight. I've never had one loosen up. In fact sometimes a strap wrench is needed to remove port. Take a look at Nexus housings - very compact & well engineered. The D800 deserves a quality aluminum housing.

Back
Top Bottom