Ikelite Housing for 550D, opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Nygren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking at various housings for the 550D/ T2i, I'm just looking for some opinions on the Ikelite 550D housing. It is $1000 cheaper than an aquatica housing, and that's including an additional compact port. I was also wondering what types of strobes are compatible with the ikelite housing. I want to use dual inon z240's.

I have the ike housing for the T2I and 7D. I use Ike strobes (161s) and Sea and Sea strobes. For strobes, You just need the appropriate sync cord: Ikelite Sync Cords. I suppose if money were no object I'd be tempted to get a more expensive housing but I saved the money for better glass. I've used sea & sea, aquatica, nauticam and subal. What I like about them is that they are more streamlined, the controls are somewhat easier to use but for me it is not worth the extra money. When I get new rigs, they will be Ikes unless I get the others for free or the same price :wink:.

Hello out there!
I am planning to get the T2i with Ikelite housing, too. I've discusssed with another UW photographer about polycarbonate housings and he says he would never use them.
The explanation he gave me was that polycarbonate (clear) housings like the Ikes would suffer from temperature changings very easily, and therefore they would leak easier then other housings.
I would like to know what you folks think about that reasoning. As far as my research goes I didn't find any threads or reviews that would doubt the quality of Ikelite housings... But I'm eager to learn from more experienced uw photographers.
Would you recommend Ikelite housings or not?

Thanks,
M.G.

Simple answer. B. S. They are all oring sealed and the seal would act the same in aluminum or plastic. The Ikelite housing is very functional for DSLR cameras and I own two for the 550D. Underwater Camera Stuff has designed and sells some excellent accessories for Ikelite housings including a vacuum seal system.

thanks for the answer. Of course I know that the most important part in uw photography is the right maintenance of the housing and in particular the o-rings. I just got some sort of confused, because that other guy told me that polycarbonate housings aren't the right choice. he said they wouldn't be good enough because the polycarbonate will leak if the temperatures change too much.
well i think i will trust in ikelite housings, though... =)

I think Ikelite dSLR housings work very well. I would not worry about them leaking more than any other housing. Michael Zeigler got quite a few killer shots with his Ikelite D90 housing in the So Cal shootout. However, for the Canon T2i, the Sea & Sea T2i RDX housing is also worth a look if you want a step up in ergonomics. It is in the same price range as the Ikelite. - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom