Ikelite DS125 and controller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sepia

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I recently took my Oly 5060 out in its new Ike housing,DS125 and manual controller...It was a dark, horrible, murky day, but I was very impressed with the photos I got using the camera underwater for the first time...

Anyway, what I was wondering: I was using macro or super macro taking photos of nudibranchs, with an fstop of 8 (smallest) and shutter speed generally no slower than 1/1000...On the manual controller, I found I couldnt use anything brighter than 1.0, or I got massive over exposure...Is this peoples experience with it?? Will it become a bit more flexible when I am taking wide angle shots?? I dont really want to be limited to this aperture...(BTW- I had the diffuser on)

One other thing (and maybe this was my problem), when using the manual controller, should the strobe be set to FULL?? Thats what I had, but the manual says set it to "TTL FULL", which are two separate settings...

Cheers
Marcus

The strobe should be set to "TTL" when using the manual controllers......if you set the strobe on full, the manual controller doesn't work and you were getting "full" strobe dumps

Karl

I used to use DS125 with Oly C5050. With ISO 64 when shooting macro with F8, I only used mostly 1/8 power or 1/4 power with shutter speed around 1/125-1/250. That was before I got the manual controller.
If I remember correctly, 1 is 1/2 power so that sounds about right if you use really high shutter speed. DS125 is quite powerful and F8 is really still quite light sensitive.
To get black background, I often had to go up to 1/1000th shutterspeed or faster with the strobe still around 1/4-1/8 power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom