Ikelite DS-50 vs DS-125? Is the 125 worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bieszczat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is the DS-125 worth all the extra $$$? Looking for just a single arm strobe setup for a c-8080. Going with the TTL setup with Ikelite, but trouble deciding on DS-50 versus DS-125. Therefore, anyone who has experience please share. Your wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Bieszczat:
Is the DS-125 worth all the extra $$$? Looking for just a single arm strobe setup for a c-8080. Going with the TTL setup with Ikelite, but trouble deciding on DS-50 versus DS-125. Therefore, anyone who has experience please share. Your wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
I have the ds 125 on a 5050 with Ike housing, TTL, etc. I guess it works good but I am not sure the TTL actually works. It is a big lighthead. I've seen people with smaller, cheaper setups taking decent pictures. I guess my point, is that I did not notice any great change with it, however, being and amateur, take it with a grain of salt.

Bieszczat:

Thanks,
Tony

Yes. I have two. The DS-50 is a nice strobe, but it doesn't have a modeling light and doesn't recharge as quickly. Click on "I LOVE COZUMEL" below for some examples of what you can do. (Oly c5050/DS-125 manual controllers).

FWIW. I started with TTL and rapidly switched to full manual - I think you can get better pictures this way.

Yes, I think the DS-125 is definitely worth it. DS-50 is ok for macro but when you start to move to wide angle, DS-125 will have better area of coverage. Also the battery will last longer and recycle time can't be beat. Ideally you should try to get the deluxe package and the smart charger is very handy on a 3-4 dives/day trip.

ssra is right, 50s are a macro (small stuff) strobe. To get any sort of decent lighting on something larger than an Angel Fish the 125 is the way to go, higher power and wider beam make this a better choice for single strobe photography

Yes, they're worth the money.

I should add the disclaimer that I use the 400's more than the little things, though.

All the best, James

fdog:
Yes, they're worth the money.

I should add the disclaimer that I use the 400's more than the little things, though.

All the best, James

Thanks for the help to all. Now....to convince the wife the money is worth the performance!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom