Ikelite DS 125 Strobe Malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stijn

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi

I have an Ikelite DS 125 strobe. I have not used it for a year. THis morning I want to turn it on but get no reaction or lights so I decide to charge the battery. It is a standard charger which came with the strobe. it has a charge LED and a power LED. When I connect it the power LED starts flashing very quickly.

Is this because it's charging? or is there a malfunction? I have no Idea what I am doing wrong.

If there is someone with the same strobe or has experience with this pls let me know.

Thanks!!

Stijn:
Hi

I have an Ikelite DS 125 strobe. I have not used it for a year. THis morning I want to turn it on but get no reaction or lights so I decide to charge the battery. It is a standard charger which came with the strobe. it has a charge LED and a power LED. When I connect it the power LED starts flashing very quickly.

Is this because it's charging? or is there a malfunction? I have no Idea what I am doing wrong.

If there is someone with the same strobe or has experience with this pls let me know.

Thanks!!

I do not have the strobe you mention but something similar happen to me with my dive light. I left it without being used for a while and when I tried to charge it first time again it acted weird. What I did was charge and discharge the battery for a couple of times and then it was fine.

Maybe it is the same in your case, but you can always contact Ikelite. They are very responsive.

The battery packs on the DS-125s need to be kept charged regularly to keep them functioning properly. Storing them for a year has drained the battery completely. The flashing you see is because the charger is bringing the charge back up to a safe level before it can start the rapid charge cycle. In the long run, this can be damaging to your batteries, so if you do not use your strobes in a while, charge them up once in a while or keep them on trickle charge.

Thanks for the advice. I plugged in the battery and got the very quick flashing but after a while it started with the normal charging so everything is back to normal.

You want to avoid having the battery get so low that you see the rapid flashing. These pack are designed to be charged up without full discharges, which can be damaging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom