Ikelite ds-125 battery paks-how long do these last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, the YS-90 is looking better and better. It appears though, as if you can do either with either one? Say use a cord or mount a TTL sensor on either strobe?

Am I correct in understanding that on yours, ( YS-90) by using a cord, it just fires when the internal strobe normally would fire and its a done deal. All you might have to adjust is the strobe setting itself. Is that correct?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

I think Im getting annoying at this point but its a big expense.

okiediver1 once bubbled...
Ok, the YS-90 is looking better and better. It appears though, as if you can do either with either one? Say use a cord or mount a TTL sensor on either strobe?

I'm going through a similar decision process for my Canon. Thinking of the SS y90, SSy25, or Ike's DS50. Or NOTHING at all but internal. Still havn't decided after reading every thread on every board online........and checking my bank account 3 times!

Conclusions from someone who has never even held one of these: Ike leads in power and customer service. SS leads in elegant design. The SSy25 is probably a bit underpowered. Manual control is better than TTL. ALL are good products.

Here are a couple of good links:

After seeing prices closer to $700 for a YS90 complete setup, I stumbled across this shop with a much lower price:

http://www.17photo.com/mivastore/me...17photo&Product_Code=70000&Affiliate=epinions

And this is a GREAT info page on Rodales written by sharpdiver:

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/divetips.php?s=288

Good luck choosing and post some info when you decide.

GB

Okay, on this whole slave sensor item....on the ds-125 does this device stay put? Do you have to constantly adjust it?
It depends on what handle/arms you're using and how radically you've moved the strobe.
I use Ultralight arms and handle and have the sensor attached to the first joint on a triple clamp:
top-view.jpg

front-view.jpg

I don't have to worry about aiming the sensor for most shots.
If I do a radical move like move the strobe from the side all the way to the top (like for critters under a small ledge) then yes I have to re-aim the sensor (as I found out with black frames instead of Pineapple fish - they love hiding under ledges).
If you use handles and arms like the one from Ike then the slave stays put.
P1200150.JPG

I'm currently working on a way of mounting it on the handle instead of the triple clamp.

It appears though, as if you can do either with either one? Say use a cord or mount a TTL sensor on either strobe?
If I understand your question correctly then the answer is, umm, not really.
With the YS90 you can trigger the strobe with, if your housing allows it, a sync cord or a fibre optic cable. As I understand it, it'll only do TTL with a sync cord with cameras that use the Nikon and Nikonos flash protocol. It'll only do manual with the fibre optic cable.
The DS-125 can be triggered by, if your housing allows it, just a with a sync cord, or the TTL slave sensor or the manual slave sensor.
With the sync cord I believe it'll only do TTL with cameras that use the Nikon and Nikonos flash protocol;
With the TTL slave sensor you can use TTL or manual with 4 power settings (each power setting = one f-stop);
With the manual slave sensor it won't work in TTL but you can have 10 manual power settings of half f-stops. You can fire the strobe by using the sensor or by connecting it with a sync cord to the housing.

Thanks for the pics--pics are always helpful!

The way I see it, I need either a ys-90 with a fiber optic cable which will allow me to set the strobe manually (YIPES!)

OR a ds-125 with a TTL sensor that I may have to adjust depending on what shot Im taking.

Im assuming with the fiber optic cable that I can just "point and shoot" ? Possible having to change a setting?

Thanks again for some valuable feedback as I need all the help I can get!

okiediver1 once bubbled...

Am I correct in understanding that on yours, ( YS-90) by using a cord, it just fires when the internal strobe normally would fire and its a done deal. All you might have to adjust is the strobe setting itself. Is that correct?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

ReyeR is right. The housing you use has alot to do with it. If your housing allows the use of a sync cord, then Yes...you can use the YS90 with either one. You do NOT mount an external TTL sensor with the YS90.

Yes....using the fiber optic cable, the cameras internal flash triggers the strobe's slave sensor via the fiber optic cable and sets it off. It's a done deal. If I decide to move my strobe in any direction, the FO cable moves with it and I don't have to worry about re-adjusting it. Just point and shoot. If it's suddenly gotten cloudy or you've changed depth by 10+ft, you MIGHT have to change the power setting one number.

You're not getting annoying...we all had the same questions! Plus you're probably helping someone else get the answers they are to shy to ask for!!!

Here's a picture of my basic set-up. I now use a longer arm but it's still the same idea. Oh yeah...the tray isn't tightened down, it fits much better than that!

aai.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom