Ikelite ds-125 battery paks-how long do these last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okiediver1

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering buying a strobe (Ikelite DS-125), whch comes with a 6 hour charger. Does anyone know how long a battery pak lasts and whether or not I need the "smart charger"?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

From Ikelite manual, the DS125, fully charged is good for 150 flashes. If you also use its modelling light, 1 hour of the light is equal to 50 flashes. I bought the D125 last month and only used it on one weekend trip, I did not feel that it lasted quite that long. After charging it overnight with the smart charger the day before I left on my trip, the first day on 3 dives, I used the modelling light on one dive (about 45-50 minutes) and took no more than 20-30 pictures the whole day (the water was rather terrible) the battery was down to quarter charge (only 1 of 4 LED light still lighted up). The 20-30 flashes did not include the flashes that went off when I surfaced. I guess with TTL sensor, I should turn off the strobe before surfacing as sunlight/wave will trigger the strobe like mad and the strobe went off a whole bunch of times before I could turn it off.
I really think that smart charger is a good idea because then you can quickly recharge the battery between dives on the boat.

The smart charger ....

although it is more money, is well worth the difference in cost ..... Typically (depending on battery use ) I can plug it in after a few dive and within 30-45 minuets its charged.

I run it for 2 dives per charge, about 100++ pics and liberal use of the aiming light - the fuel guage usually flicks to 1/2. Top it up with the fast charger - 15 to 20 mins max.

Get the fast charger - it's worth every cent. It also maintains the battery.

do fast chargers have any negative effects on the battery? (like shortening battery life, etc?)
The Ikelite fast charger, called the smart charger, is supposed to be better for your battery...
This new charger features the latest negative delta-v pulse charge technology to provide more complete charging while keeping the batteries cool for longer battery life. It also conditions the cells and usually provides more flashes per charge.

Would you say you were happy with the performance of the strobe? Are there any other strobes I should be considering for an Ikelite housing?

I like the DS-125 so far. Are you going to use it with digital camera with preflash/TTL or are you planning to use it in manual mode. I think generally if you are planning to use it with camera with preflash, you pretty much stuck with Ikelite or Sea and Sea YS90DX. I chose Ikelite mainly because I have a local Ikelite dealer which is very accessible and helpful. I don't know too much about the Sea and Sea although it seems to be a cheaper alternative and many people like it. You probably can't go wrong with either.

I am using an Oly with an Ikelite housing. I am so confused about "what I need". I know I need ease of operation but I dont know anything about setting a strobe manually!

okiediver1 once bubbled...
I am using an Oly with an Ikelite housing. I am so confused about "what I need". I know I need ease of operation but I dont know anything about setting a strobe manually!

Okie....I use a Sea & Sea YS90DX strobe with my Oly C-4040/PT-10. I chose it for several reasons because I wanted something simple to use and something that took rechargeable batteries, not a proprietory battery pack. The more I saw and read about the Ike Ds-XXX strobes, the more I was leaning toward the S&S. There is a sensor that has to be aimed just right or the strobe won't work. I didn't like the idea of another unit on the strobe arm that had to be kept in a certain position throughout the dive. I don't care for TTL so that was never a desired feature.

The YS90DX has 12 manual power settings but it's so easy to use. I start in the middle and seldom have ever moved it more than one notch either way. You'll see in your LCD screen whether you need more or less light. Why depend on the camera to decide that for you? This way, you control what the camera and strobe are doing together.

And I believe the S&S is cheaper, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom