Ikelite care & advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zenshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I just purchased an Ikelite housing for our digital camcorder and we are very excited about shooting our dives ...

I do realize the quality will improve with time and experience. The question(s) I have are:

What should I do special for the housing? (such as considerations for flying with it, care & maintenance, special care for the o-ring, etc.)

Your help and experiences are appreciated!

Rinse it well in freshwater after each dive. While rinsing it, move all the levers and press all the buttons.

Be sure to clean, lube, and check the o-rings EVERY time you open the case, and at least once daily while on a trip.

While traveling, I always remove the o-rings and pack them inside the housing in a ziploc bag. I also take along plenty of tubes of Ikelite lube and microfiber towels.

Keep the lens/port cover on and pack the housing well while traveling. I keep mine in my carryon so there is less chance of damage.

As someone who abuses equipment and has had amazing "luck" I would say

1) insurance 2) be aware of hairs traversing the o-ring (or lint, or carpet fibers) eyeball the o-ring through the acrylic, as a habit.
3) check in the rinse bucket first and again in the water on descent, tipping the housing and watching for a "puddle". 4) keep it out of the hot sun 5) rinse well, but don't make yourself nuts.

Give special attention to making sure those spring clips have seated in the correct position.

Get a nice high quality leash that hooks back on itself for making your way in current, with the camera cradled at your waist to reduce drag.

Catherine is right -- INSURANCE!

Check with your carrier, you might need a separate policy. Make sure you cover all risks.

I realize this is a realllly stupid question, but which insurance co.? Home, D.A.N., or other specialty insurance carrier?

Zenshift:
I realize this is a realllly stupid question, but which insurance co.? Home, D.A.N., or other specialty insurance carrier?

I have my cars and home with State Farm. So I called them and they have all of my scuba gear and camera equipment on a separate personal articles policy. The policy covers all risks -- theft, flooding, dropping, etc. There is a $0 deductible and the premium is about $1000 per year for $50K worth of equipment.

Check with your homeowners carrier, they might cover it under your current policy.

Zenshift:
DAN has gear insurance, but be sure to compare their policy terms (especially flood deductible) to DEPP (www.awryinc.com), which is a little more popular with the photo crowd, from what I've seen. Neither is perfect... both have pros and cons so only you can decide.

I'd be hesitant about linking my home policy with my dive gear. One too many gear claims and you get your home policy canceled? No thanks, I'll take separate specialty insurance, even if it costs a little more.

I have State Farm, the rate was better and it covers more types of loss. At first, I did not want to risk making my house rates go up...but it is a seperate rider. In fact, you don't need to have any other insurance with them. (and they know nothing about UW systems, so that gives you the advantage!)

I'd be hesitant about linking my home policy with my dive gear. One too many gear claims and you get your home policy canceled? No thanks, I'll take separate specialty insurance, even if it costs a little more.

I explored that rather well, and they assued me it did not have anything to do with it. Because, State Farm is the only hurricane coverage here, so I was concerned too.

Wow. Great info guys! Thanks for reminding me of why Scubaboard is first on my toolbar.

:wave-smil

On the matter of insurance... my Fuji S2 met seawater to a sad end. Insured with Snake Farm BUT they will pay only replacement, not the value the policy rate is based on. I'm thinking DAN may be a better way to go. Got great shots right up to that point. The problem...the port latch was closed but not locked. Port came open in the rinse tank after a dive. A very expensive lesson about checking and not being in a hurry. The advice above on "O" rings is what I have done and never had a problem in about 10 yrs with Ikelite housings. I like the advice to press buttons as I have had some issues getting those clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom