Ikeite versus Sea&Sea, nauticam,....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mathieu.de.sloover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to by a DSLR.

But i don't know which housing to buy.

Is ikelite good ?

The other housing manufacturers are 2 times more expensive.

What is your experience ?

An ikelite leaks faster then other housing ?

First, pick your camera. Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Sony etc. Then get the lenses that you will most likely use UW. These most likely will be a Tokina 10-17 or the equivalent fisheye for your setup then a macro lens (100 or 60 mm). Then look at housings and ports for your system. Ikelite housings are the least expensive and the least ergonomic but they don't leak more than any other system. Then you will need ports, one for WA and one for macro. Then strobes and arms. Then you will have no more money to go diving.
In any case, figure out your total budget then come back for some more intelligent recommendations.
Bill

I have had a Canon 40D with an Ikelite case for a number of years with no leakage. It works fine but you need to start with the camera then the lenses and then move to case and ports.

Another Bill's opinion

I use a point and shoot with an Ikelite housing. It is a good housing at a moderate price.

I know some people who use the Ikelite DSLR housings and are quite satisfied with them.

I understand that for DSLRs Ikelite housing are reasonably good and about the least expensive.

You can get aluminum housings for about 50% to 150% more depending on the manufacturer. I would think that an aluminum housing would be more compact and a bit better but at a premium. It just depends on whether the extra cost is something that would be meaningful to you.

Mathieu,
Ikelitre is a very experienced uw-housing manufacture, is building housings from far 1962 and a lot of excellent photos were made with Ikelite housings.
I have 2 Ikelite housings, one (my first) for a Fuji E900 and one for my Nikon D90 and I never had any problem with it.
I see no reason why Ikelite housings should flood earlier/easier than a aluminium housing, but if you consider to drop, bang or hit it, a aluminium housing will be sturdier.
On the contrary, if it should flood you will see it much earlier than a aluminium housing as they are nottransparent and due the transaprent housing you will also see the o-rings and if they are "squeezed" well.

But as Bill wrote, think first about the camera AND the strobe(s) you would like to use and then choose the corresponding housing.

Chris

P.S. One hint regarding your camera choice: Don't buy a exotic camera, you won't find a cheap, used replacement if you flood or break the camera, but to get a replacement for a widely selled camera like a Nikon D80/90/3000/5000 oder a similar Canon model would be not a big problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom