Ike flash....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Why would one choose the DS-125 over the 200 Ike strobe?

For me, it was three things:

Price - two 200's were out of range.

Size - I shoot 70% to 30% Macro to Wide Angle... I need to get my strobes into some tight spaces, and the 200 is pretty big, two of them are mosterous.

Power - For what I shoot, I don't need this much power. I'm a green-water SoCal shooter. I dive mostly at night. I'm not shoooting in clear, pretty water, and these Novas would turn a lot of what I shoot into a messy yuck. I mean, if I was backing them down everytime I used them, why go with them and not the DS-125's I figger.

That's why I went with and stick with the DS125's.

---
Ken

I made the same question some time ago.
This were the answers:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=160342&highlight=ikelite

I bought th DS-125 and I'm pretty happy with it. On the other hand, I can't compare with the DS-200. The price and having to use the 1,25" ball joints due to the weight were the two main reasons to choose the 125.
Hope it helps a little.
Hidroj

Hidroj:
I made the same question some time ago.
This were the answers:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=160342&highlight=ikelite

I bought th DS-125 and I'm pretty happy with it. On the other hand, I can't compare with the DS-200. The price and having to use the 1,25" ball joints due to the weight were the two main reasons to choose the 125.
Hope it helps a little.
Hidroj

I'm using the Ike substrobe 150 now, it's big and heavey but it covers great for wide angle. Have you tried wide angle with one DS125? I'm shooting a sigma close focus 28mm, in Digital terms that would be about a 17mm. I hate the thought of buying two 125's..more money and more weight.
File0393.jpg

Hy Caymaniac!
If you take a look at my photo gallery here at Scubaboard, all pictures are taken with a single DS-125 (altough I don't discard buying a second strobe some day). As it's specified on each picture, the wide angle lens I'm using is a Nikon 12-24mm (sometimes behind a 6" Dome, sometimes behind the 8" Dome, I'm still testing). Sometimes I take also photos with natural light, but that's also specified at every picture.
I'm sorry not beeing of much help, making it easier for you to choose between one or two DS-125's.
Refering to coverage angle for each strobe, I don't know how much offers the 150, but the 125 it's said (Ikelite says on it's website) that you'll have 90 degrees of angle, 100 with the diffuser. As far as I've experienced it seem to be something like that.
As it's said also on the thread I mentioned you, the DS-200 seems to arrive 6 feet further than the DS-125. Don't know if that's an important fact for you (maybe if you shoot professionaly on wrecks with clear water, that makes the difference).
I suppose it depends also on how much weight you want to carry. If your doubt is one DS-200 versus two DS-125's, of course the single strobe, the DS-200 (3,14lbs-1,4kg) is lighter then two DS-125 (2,12lbs - 0,96kgx2= 4,14lbs - 1,9 kg). Another thing will be the angle of coverage of one versus two strobes (two have to be better, I think).
Take a look at my pictures, they are not exceptional (I'm still a beginner in underwater photography) but maybe they'll help you to get some more information about single strobe pictures.
Good luck! Show us your photos once you've gone through the dilemma!
:wink:
Hidroj

Thanks Hidroj. Those are some good examples, nice wreck photos.

Diver Dennis:
It was price for me and I think the 125s cycle faster?

For me, it was price and the recycle time. As well, the 125s give more full power flashes on a single charge than the 200s do, which is important for dive trips as I can generally get in 2 full dives no problem before needing to recharge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom