Ignorant DIR Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
None of what I said was intended as a criticism of your point, just an expansion of the thought. Maybe it's my stubborn nature.
I didn't take it in a negative way Tobin. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what you said.
cool_hardware52:
Put me on a scooter with a longer corrigated hose and as it beats me in the head the previous explainations snap into focus.
I would think that someone explaining, "You're probably going to want to change to a shorter hose, or that thing's going to put your eye out when you try to scooter with it." would be enough for me to understand the advantage of making the change.
cool_hardware52:
A more general example would be pairing up with a unfamilar diver. Try to explain to a non DIR diver the realtive calm and confidence one has when first diving with a DIR you don't know. It just doesn't make complete sense until you have the training.
I think I could probably explain that too, but I think I see what you're saying now. If I'm not missing your point, which is entirely possible, it's not that you can't understand the advantages, but that you may not fully appreciate them.

If that's it, I agree with you, but I still think that in the case of DIR, it's easy (and important) enough to understand why something is done the way it is, even if only from an intellectual standpoint. I don't necessarily need to be flogged about the head with an inflator to appreciate that scootering with a long one is a less-than-optimal plan. On the flip side of the coin, if all I know is that "short inflators are DIR", I won't know if or how I might be increasing my risk if I use a borrowed wing with a long inflator for a shallow reef dive with no scooter.

cool_hardware52:
Sorry, I don't follow. Why would the instructor struggle?

Tobin
Holding true to the core value of being a thinking diver.

MSilvia:
I think I could probably explain that too, but I think I see what you're saying now. If I'm not missing your point, which is entirely possible, it's not that you can't understand the advantages, but that you may not fully appreciate them.

That's pretty close to what I was trying to convey....and it might just be my stubborn nature.

Tobin

MSilvia:
Usually, but sometimes they're offered at the admitted risk of turning a discussion into an even bigger religious war than it already is. When that risk is taken for an analogy that is likely not to be apt, I'm not sure I'd consider it kindly, in the same sense that I don't consider internet trolls to be kindly.

I sincerely did not intend my post to be a troll. I've learned a great deal from SB in general and this forum in particular. In fact, it's because of this forum that I'm going the DIR route from the very beginning. This forum has guided my gear purchases (bp/w), my reading ("Dress for Success"), my DVD viewing ("Essentials" 1.0), and the way I'm learning to dive. It has brought me into contact with some really cool people from whom I'm learning a lot. I find the discussions here to be both passionate and intelligent. I hardly have an interest in trolling.

Ordinarily, I just quietly listen, or ask a question, as I have in other places regarding an ear problem or gear selection. I chimed in here only because the OP and the ensuing discussion was more of a conceptual/philosophical discussion, and as an objective observer, I thought I could frame it within a slightly different matrix.

I do find the language in this thread intriguing (and familiar):

Pulling out the "holistic approach" and "all or nothing" arguments are entirely correct dogma but contribute nothing useful to the discussion that the OP was starting and only serve to make DIR look bad to the rest of the world.

That requires a leap of faith.

I apologize if my analogy may have been construed as inflammatory. If it was unhelpful, that is due to my vast ignorance and utter lack of experience. It was simply intended as my take on a very worthy conversation. Please recognize that it can be difficult, if not intimidating, to join a discussion such as this, especially when it's not face to face over a couple of beers. Playing the "troll" or the "newbie" card doesn't exactly encourage people to learn by active participation. I think DIR can sell itself, provided its evangelists don't inadvertantly discourage those who are actively seeking it.

Back to listening. :popcorn:

I appreciate you making the effort to join the discussion and keep learning. Sorry if I took your post the wrong way.

I am newly ow certified, i took a course in trim and buoyancy, (not knowing anything about DIR) They put us in bp/wing, 7ft hose everyone the same set up,and what i learned in that class just made total sense to me
I purchased the gear and feel i have more confidence and control
and in some ways better trim than the divers that helped run the OW class
So i dont know if this was the Lite version of DIR
But i dont want to stop there
Thanks

If anyone is looking to take the class straight from the source, there are class schedules available at the gue website.

http://gue.com/

I believe you have to register (which is free) in order to view the schedules and instructor resumes. There is a high quality of instruction at GUE.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom