If you were to move to Philipines...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is the biggest reason we have not changed my wife's citizenship. (She's filipina) We own a house in Zamboanga that we are trying to sell, so that we can buy a house in Dauin or Dumaguete maybe Batangas. We have just not been able to live there yet because we both work outside the country.
I plan to dive most days, and play golf the other days.

Thanks for the intel.

That is the biggest reason we have not changed my wife's citizenship. (She's filipina) We own a house in Zamboanga that we are trying to sell, so that we can buy a house in Dauin or Dumaguete maybe Batangas. We have just not been able to live there yet because we both work outside the country.
I plan to dive most days, and play golf the other days.

Thanks for the intel.

You can live well on 1500 to 2000 USD, but you can not live like a king, especially if you purchase a vehicle and expect to dive 4 times a week. I would be happy to discuss other issues via PM..

Cheers,

Panglao has become my favourite place in the Philippines. It is close to the not to big city of Tagbilaran witch got a hospital and an airport. There is good communications with the rest of the Philippines in both air and sea. Diving in Panglao and Baligasag are spectacular and there is also lots of good divespots around Bohol, witch is easily accessed when living in Panglao. Another reason is that some of the diveshops arrange trips to Siquijor (my favourite) and Apo island.

When living in Panglao, the divespots of Cebu like Moalboal and Malapascua is a daytrip away, but you can go by fastferry and bus or by car and ro-ro if you like. At least you don't need expensive plane-tickets to go there. Also there is ferry from Jagna, Bohol to Camiguin and from Tagbilaran you can go anywhere.

"If your housing is paid for, is 1500 to 2000 USD enough to live and dive in the Philippines?"

And how!
You will be able to live well on that kind of money! Maid, Driver, Diving, so much more!
Philippine law, however, does not allow foreign citizen to own land! You could lease land, and build a house on it, or buy a condominium though! My wife was born in the Philippines, and can reclaim her citizenship, and be a dual citizen if we want our own property. Otherwise, we have her relatives.

That is why that country will stay in the 3rd world. I am from California and over half if not more of property is owned by foreigners. PI is a nice place to visit but Luzon ruined it when he established that foreigners cannot own property.

That is why that country will stay in the 3rd world. I am from California and over half if not more of property is owned by foreigners. PI is a nice place to visit but Luzon ruined it when he established that foreigners cannot own property.

I don't foreigners owning property has anything to do at all why the Philippines is still in the 3rd world. If foreigners are allowed to own property, MOST of these wonderful places will be owned by foreigners which I don't think is a good thing at all for Filipinos. That law was created as a protection for Filipinos.

One of the main reason why the Philippines is a third-world country is because of government corruption. As per Jose Rizal, it is like a cancer to society. :(

I don't foreigners owning property has anything to do at all why the Philippines is still in the 3rd world. If foreigners are allowed to own property, MOST of these wonderful places will be owned by foreigners which I don't think is a good thing at all for Filipinos. That law was created as a protection for Filipinos.

One of the main reason why the Philippines is a third-world country is because of government corruption. As per Jose Rizal, it is like a cancer to society. :(
Marcos had laid such a solid foundation that Philippines will ever be corrupted.

Philippines has the world first absolutely non-polluted nuclear power station!!!! They have the decency of not putting any fuel rod into it!!!!

....wonderful places will be owned by foreigners which I don't think is a good thing at all for Filipinos. That law was created as a protection for Filipinos.

Filipinos don't like competition.

Foreigners bring foreign standards.

Foreign standards attract foreign customers.

Eliminate competition by regulations.

No competition, no need to rise to foreign standards.

Offer services that are below foreign visitor expectations.

Less foreigners come here (less tourism and investment).

.... yes, I see how that benefits Filipinos...

Corruption isn't reserved for the government... it's endemic in Filipino society from top-to-bottom. A society blaming the government for the failure of a society is the worst kind of scape-goating. The government reflects the people. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones..

Filipinos don't like competition.

Foreigners bring foreign standards.

Foreign standards attract foreign customers.

Eliminate competition by regulations.

No competition, no need to rise to foreign standards.

Offer services that are below foreign visitor expectations.

Less foreigners come here (less tourism and investment).

.... yes, I see how that benefits Filipinos...

Corruption isn't reserved for the government... it's endemic in Filipino society from top-to-bottom. A society blaming the government for the failure of a society is the worst kind of scape-goating. The government reflects the people. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones..

Filipinos don't like competition? haha! you forget that "People" are the TOP export of the Philippines. Do you think Filipinos would go out of the country if they don't want any competition??
If you are a foreigner living in the Philippines, don't feel so high and mighty thinking that you are doing the Philippines a favor.
Japan did not rise because of foreigners. China did not rise because of foreigners. South Korea did not rise because of foreigners. Your argument is laughable.
On the other hand, I partially agree to your point that blame should not only be placed on the government. The people should also do its part by not condoning it. BUT that doesn't mean that the Filipino society in itself is corrupt from top to bottom! The government of a country plays a HUGE part in setting the direction of a country. One concrete example is North Korea. Do you believe the North Korean government reflects all the people of North Korea?
Filipinos will one day reach their threshold and say enough is enough. Every society does. All I know is that if the government is not corrupt, it will make a huge difference to the Philippines but getting to that point is definitely not trivial.

Filipinos don't like competition? haha! you forget that "People" are the TOP export of the Philippines. Do you think Filipinos would go out of the country if they don't want any competition??
If you are a foreigner living in the Philippines, don't feel so high and mighty thinking that you are doing the Philippines a favor.
Japan did not rise because of foreigners. China did not rise because of foreigners. South Korea did not rise because of foreigners. Your argument is laughable.
On the other hand, I partially agree to your point that blame should not only be placed on the government. The people should also do its part by not condoning it. BUT that doesn't mean that the Filipino society in itself is corrupt from top to bottom! The government of a country plays a HUGE part in setting the direction of a country. One concrete example is North Korea. Do you believe the North Korean government reflects all the people of North Korea?
Filipinos will one day reach their threshold and say enough is enough. Every society does. All I know is that if the government is not corrupt, it will make a huge difference to the Philippines but getting to that point is definitely not trivial.

Filipinos for the most part are lazy!!! That is a fact. They do not have the drive or desire. I have been there and a lot of pinays do not like Pinoys because they are lazy. Filipinos here in the US don't like competition. I work in an industry that a lot of them have gone into. They are very subservant and do what is told of them by Management. The Philippines could have been a great place but you also have to consider how powerful the Catholic church is there. The Church won't allow the government to implement family planning or even really discuss it.

If foreigners were allowed to invest there, there would be more jobs and opportunities.

If foreigners were allowed to invest there, there would be more jobs and opportunities.

Foreigners are allowed to invest, even encouraged. Foreign investment and owning land are separate issues

For the OP, I think Visayas and PG are better for you. very good rec dives and some tec (never did tec, but some offer them)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom