If you were to design the perfect bottom timer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YES, user replaceable battery is a MUST.
Why? Just make the battery last long enough to make the device obsolete before the battery is toast.

If you do a quick survey of many cheap gadgets, most can be considered "disposable". Like my can opener & toaster. And my iPod, iPad & iPhone. Non replaceable batteries seems to be working for Apple.

Why? Just make the battery last long enough to make the device obsolete before the battery is toast.

If you do a quick survey of many cheap gadgets, most can be considered "disposable". Like my can opener & toaster. And my iPod, iPad & iPhone. Non replaceable batteries seems to be working for Apple.

But when is a bottom timer obsolete? The evolution is much slower than in smartphone space

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This post is about "design the perfect bottom timer". As far as I am concern a user replaceable battery is a must and what is wrong with this? BTW, I never consider my cheap Uwatec bottom timer(US$140.00) as a cheap gadget because my tec dive is completely depend on its accuracy to tell me the time and depth.
I am glad that Scubapro does not believe the original design of Uwatec bottom time is obsolete.

I imagine the biggest problem with someone manufacturing a simple bottom timer is the small market size and fear that it would cannibalize their more expensive computers. That may be a bigger problem than defining a feature set that everyone can agree on. I know this is an engineering class project but someone has to be convinced to make and market, it even if you hand over a perfectly optimized design. You might even score points addressing this problem in your paper.

I really enjoy this kind of post… online design collaborations between customers. Hopefully it will result in a great product… maybe a crowd-funding candidate?

Out of curiosity, what kind of off-the-shelf electronic depth sensor are you planning to utilize in this design?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom