If you could only dive one location...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talon39

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going on a cruise in late September.
My Destinations are:
Nassau, Bahamas
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Philipsburg, St. Maarten

I will only be able to dive one day on this cruise and must choose a dive from the above locations. If you could only choose one dive, which would you do? Any reccomendations or advice will be greatly apreciated.

St. Thomas, absolutely. Only reason I'd dive Nassau would be to do a shark dive, and usually your time in port doesn't allow for it - you almost always have to go with the ship's excursion (same company, Stuart Coves, but different boat and time).

In St. Thomas, I recommend Chris Sawyer and Blue Island Divers.

Thanks BurBunny! Is there a particualr dive site in St Thomas you would reccomend?

Hi talon39,

Exactly what BurBunny said.

On STT, my favorite site is the wreck of the WIT Shoal II [lots of WIT (West Indies Trading Company) wrecks, so be sure to get the correct one]. Very fishy & very cool. I also like Cow & Calf and French Cap. These are intermediate level dives.

Of course, where you dive depends upon the weather & sea state conditions, where other divers want to go, where the op wants to go, etc.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Talon, like DocVikingo, I like the WIT Shoal. However, my favorite site (and in fact, surprisingly my favorite site in the Caribbean) is Armando's Paradise. The only dive shop I know of which definitely goes there is St. Thomas Diving Club, though I wouldn't be surprised if Blue Island also goes there. Chris Saywer is on the other side of the island, so it's a bit too far a trek for them.

Cow & Calf is a frequent stop for Chris Sawyer, so wouldn't be at all surprised if you dive with them you go there, depending of course on conditions.

talon39:
Thanks BurBunny! Is there a particualr dive site in St Thomas you would reccomend?

It rally does not matter - If you go with a cruise group you will go where they go - end of discussion.

DeputyDan:
It rally does not matter - If you go with a cruise group you will go where they go - end of discussion.
I don't think I'm bound to go where the cruise chooses. Once I'm on the Island, I can go where ever I want as long as I get back to the ship on time.

I have not been to St. Thomas or St. Maarten, but I have been to Nassau with Stuart Cove's. The Vulcan Bomber (007) and the mail ship are still two of my favorite sites. If I could, I would stay down all day just to look at all the little critters on them. I even like these better than Bloody Bay Wall in Cayman! (Although BBW is very close on their heels).

j

DocVikingo:
Hi talon39,

Exactly what BurBunny said.

I also like Cow & Calf

Of course, where you dive depends upon the weather & sea state conditions, where other divers want to go, where the op wants to go, etc.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

I requested this dive - as the last time I stayed on St. John, I dove "cow and calf", and I thought it was an excellent site. Blue Island divers told me it was too far for them to go. Therefore if you are cruising you might want to think about what dive ops will take you to a particular location.
I thought "navy barges" and a reef site nearby were very mediocre, I would not care to dive those sites when again in St. Thomas.

I think I could live with a life sentence to dive exclusively off of Belize.

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom