If you could choose from Alor, Lembeh (or Palawan Philippines) where would you go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would take Lembeh off the table. It is pretty much nothing but muck diving. As a three or four day precursor to a Raj Ampat stay it would work for you but as a destination for you and your friends I would pass.

Alor might be a bit of a challenge with only 20 dives. Depends on the divers. There is current, but mostly it can be avoided. I recall only one dive where I was struggling to get to where I wanted to be - and I carry a very large camera so most experienced divers would not have had an issue without a camera. You are on walls with no particular hard bottom at some sites. The resort I stayed at was very nice, but not even sure they will be open the dates you are looking for. That is the start of the rainy season. AFAIK there are only two other resorts on the island. Availability may make your choice for you.

The other issue is time. From SF you are looking at a VERY long trip to get there and back. SF to Jakarta probably an overnight stay in Jakarta, a flight to Kupang, definitely an overnight stay in Kupang and then a morning flight to Alor. The return trip is a bit shorter as you can skip the stay in Kupang and fly Alor - Kupang and then on to Jakarta the same day. An overnight at Jakarta and then back to SF by whatever route you choose. Four or five of your total vacation days just for travel.

Not been to Palawan so no real opinion. I did dive Coron Island a few years ago and it was pretty good. Not as good as RA but still a place worth diving.

I would take Lembeh off the table. It is pretty much nothing but muck diving. As a three or four day precursor to a Raj Ampat stay it would work for you but as a destination for you and your friends I would pass.

Alor might be a bit of a challenge with only 20 dives. Depends on the divers. There is current, but mostly it can be avoided. I recall only one dive where I was struggling to get to where I wanted to be - and I carry a very large camera so most experienced divers would not have had an issue without a camera. You are on walls with no particular hard bottom at some sites. The resort I stayed at was very nice, but not even sure they will be open the dates you are looking for. That is the start of the rainy season. AFAIK there are only two other resorts on the island. Availability may make your choice for you.

The other issue is time. From SF you are looking at a VERY long trip to get there and back. SF to Jakarta probably an overnight stay in Jakarta, a flight to Kupang, definitely an overnight stay in Kupang and then a morning flight to Alor. The return trip is a bit shorter as you can skip the stay in Kupang and fly Alor - Kupang and then on to Jakarta the same day. An overnight at Jakarta and then back to SF by whatever route you choose. Four or five of your total vacation days just for travel.

Not been to Palawan so no real opinion. I did dive Coron Island a few years ago and it was pretty good. Not as good as RA but still a place worth diving.
December is the time of the year that we also can visit the excellent dive sites at the South and East of Lembeh Island. From Divers Lodge Lembeh you are within 15 minutes at the small island Pulau Dua and another 10 minutes to the beautiful site 'Coral Garden". The Strait itself offers also several very nice colorful places underwater. So, definitely much more than only black sand. Since the toll road opened, the trip from Manado airport to Lembeh island takes less than 90 minutes.

Are you familiar with muck diving? Lembeh is mostly about muck/macro diving looking for strange and exotic critters. It's a world class destination for muck diving not everyone's cup of tea but I love me some muck.
Alor is harder to get to and with only a few resorts to choose from but great diving for reefs and macro.
Palawan is not really a widely known diving destination, there are much more highly rated destinations in the Phillipines.
@NHalzee if you let us know what your looking for in a destination we can probably give you better feedback.
If you could help that would be great. I am diving with two others both with around 20 dives. Prefer the coral/ schools of fish/ big game (rays) if possible (less so muck diving) along with a nice resort. Dates December 18-29th. We went to Sorido Bay Raja Ampat 3 years ago which was amazing. Something similar the Indonesia/ Philippines would be ideal. Have always heard great things about Palawan.

So would you go to Coron Island in the Philippines over Sipadan or Bali in Indonesia? We are trying to focus on South East Asia if possible.

Have always heard great things about Palawan.
Palawan looks like a pretty place to visit above water, but is not known as a dive destination. It is the gateway to Tubbataha -many liveaboards leave from there in season but it’s like a 10 hour trip, not a day thing.

You put the spotlight on PNG but if you really think about it, many people talk about PNG although nobody goes there. There are only 5 dive resorts in a country that is large like France!
I've done three trips to PNG, and the diving has always equaled or bettered the best I've experienced in Indonesia. Still, over 20 years, I've been to PNG 3 times and Indonesia roughly 18 times because arranging a trip to PNG is so much harder. PNG has nothing like the tourist/travel/dive infrastructure that Indo has, but there's no place I'd rather dive.

Still, over 20 years, I've been to PNG 3 times and Indonesia roughly 18 times because arranging a trip to PNG is so much harder. PNG has nothing like the tourist/travel/dive infrastructure that Indo has,
That was exactly my point and a reply to Richard's ("So it makes a bit of sense where they fit in as desired and frequented dive destinations.") : been only once to PNG compared to a number of times I can't even count on my fingers or toes in Indo (over 20 I lost the count).
Every diver as well as dive magazines talk about PNG, but in the end it's so difficult & expensive to get to - not even speaking about safety issues and whimsical domestic transport- that it's daydreaming for most of the people, a desired destination it is, NOT a frequented one. (Even though I am lucky I speak the pidgin lingo from my pacific youth, I got sometimes special favors, I still find the place terribly difficult to travel).

Alor in a way is a little PNG in its own for transport, less the safety problems (btw it's also the place in Indo which reminds me most of Milne bay dives for the blue water visibility, the mix of pristine corals and muck without any divers around).

That said YMMV, on my side found R4 was more spectacular in terms of fish life than where I went diving in PNG. I haven't dived Triton bay yet -it is on my to do list-, from the feedbacks I had, it might even surpass R4.

Fair point. It may be that Aussies travel to PNG more often, but nobody else does. The logistics are just too difficult.

I'd put PNG on par with or better than R4, but that's based on the three areas I've dived. Obviously, can't comment on other areas. It's big country.

I've been to Triton Bay twice. Once was mediocre, but the second trip was fantastic. Amazing life. It has a wilder feel than R4, but with worse vis. Definitely worth a trip. I'm hoping to return sometime soon.

Are you familiar with muck diving? Lembeh is mostly about muck/macro diving looking for strange and exotic critters. It's a world class destination for muck diving not everyone's cup of tea but I love me some muck.
Alor is harder to get to and with only a few resorts to choose from but great diving for reefs and macro.
Palawan is not really a widely known diving destination, there are much more highly rated destinations in the Phillipines.
@NHalzee if you let us know what your looking for in a destination we can probably give you better feedback.
If you could help that would be great. I am diving with two others both with around 20 dives. Prefer the coral/ schools of fish/ big game (rays) if possible (less so muck diving) along with a nice resort. Dates December 18-29th. We went to Sorido Bay Raja Ampat 3 years ago which was amazing. Something similar the Indonesia/ Philippines would be ideal. Have always heard great things about Palawan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom