If we don't sell it..... it sucks!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Major beef with just about any LDS. I've been searching for new equipment. I don't think I'll buy anything from a LDS ever again. This topic comes up again and again... I'm over the attitude of "no, stay away from that brand" walk next door.. "ohh that guy doesn't know anything, stay away from that brand and go with this, it's the only way to go"...

DEAR GOD... we are talking life support systems here people... my opinion.. LDS opinion's are WORTHLESS!!! Just like car salesmen, all they want is money. Unless of course they happen to sell what you "think" you want then it seems so easy because it's the best you can buy... such B.S. This is one of the worst industries I've ever seen for this kind of stuff... I thought the bicycle industry was bad... geesh... If I were a total newbie (well kinda still am) I would be totally turned off to the sport simply because of how the industry handles itself.

I'm buying what I like and don't give a rat's arse what they have to say about it... and I'm buying it from Spain where I get it 50% off...

O.K. I feel much much better now :wink:

Why is shopping for gear so difficult?

That's just the beginning of the BS you'll see in the dive industry. If you're lucky, you'll see through much of the training BS out there and some of the regulatory junk too.

Good luck.

When I bought my new Apeks a few months ago, it was amazing how many times I repeated, "I don't want a Mares Abyss", yet the sales guy at my LDS kept trying to sell it to me......

LDS opinions are like those you receive from any other source -- their quality can certainly vary and their advice is obviously biased by what they sell.

I totally agree with you on that one.... part of the reason I needed to vent after being told that the TX line was just O.K. and that I really needed this Atomic Aquatics (1,200$ schmakers) ... so I say o.k. how good is a 1,200 reg?

Here's what I found

CPSC, Atomic Aquatics Announce Recall of Scuba Regulators

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Atomic Aquatics Inc., of Huntington Beach, Calif., is voluntarily recalling about 3,000 scuba regulators. The regulator's first stage spring can break
causing restricted airflow, posing a drowning hazard to consumers.

Atomic Aquatics has received 14 reports of regulator springs breaking, four of which occurred while the scuba equipment was in use. No injuries have been reported.

The recalled regulators have a black body with either a gray, blue, red or yellow faceplate. Printed on the faceplate of the regulator are the words, "Atomic Aquatics"; the model name, "Titanium"; and the model number, T1, T1x, B1 or Z1.

The regulators were manufactured between May 1999 and October 1999, and have serial numbers that range from A07751 to A11276. The serial numbers can be found on a label beneath the rubber mouthpiece.

Specialty dive equipment stores nationwide sold the regulators from May 1999 through February 2000 for between $450 and $1,600.

Consumers should stop using these regulators immediately and return them to Atomic Aquatics or an authorized Atomic Aquatics dealer for repair. For more information, call Atomic Aquatics toll-free at (888) 270-8595 anytime.

Uhhh ya, thanks for the suggestion... I'll go elsewhere. I know Atomic is good stuff but to say the TX100 is just "O.K." just seems rediculous to me

As with anything else, if your rely solely on someone else's opinion of what you need and/or want, one thing is for sure. You'll get burned and end up wanting something else. Do your own research and buy what you want, where you want to buy it.

As for the recall, everyone has recalls occassionally. Most all companies have had them from time to time. Recalls don't scare me, espeacially if they are voluntary, as they generally are in the scuba industry. The companies that refuse to recall a defective product are the ones that scare me. The Atomic you spoke of is top notch. It is IMO, however, overpriced and overkill (meaning the titanium), but top-notch none the less. Generally if you'll stick to name brand middle of the road or above equipment suited to the environment that you'll dive it in, you'll be fine and it comes down to what you want more than whether one brand is better than the other.

As to whoever told that the Apeks TX line is just ok, I assure you they are also top-notch. Are they the absolute best money can buy? That's a matter of opinion and everybody has their own. Personnally, I like my TX50 the best out of any that I've tried, including the Atomic and the TX100 and wouldn't trade it even for the $1200 one. But I eyed the new ATX200 mighty hard the other day, it's a bute. The owner offered to swap with me for $200, the Mrs. gave me a dirty look, but I aim to try it soon when she ain't looking.

Agree with mostly everything,

But that's the way things usually are when it comes to specialized products. What makes a particular LDS buy a particular brand ??

The price he gets from the manufacturer
Customer demand
Got a visit from salesman who convinced him to buy.

Once a particular shop has it in stock they just want to get rid of it cause having inventory too long or too much inventory costs them money ! And, since bulk purchases from manufacturers are cheaper than buying 1 unit at a time, it is only logical for them to carry only 1 or 2 brands instead of 1 unit of 20 different brands.

One last thing, any sales person who puts down another product to sell his own IS NOT a professional, whether it be in diving equipment or anything else. It important to make sure someone evaluates your needs before making any type of comment or suggestion.

exactly... and to rip on Zeagle??? It is still a great shop and has done one heck of a job with it's dive club... just bad sales techniques... putting a brand down.. especially one that I know makes good stuff just turns me off. It's just so difficult to get straight information. Word of mouth, trying it, this place, and rodale's scuba diving seem to be the best place to get information.

Thanks for all you help guys/gals.. :D have a good one

There is some law in nature that leads to the creation of two kinds of people:

(1) Those that build themselves up by tearing others down,
and
(2) Those that rise because they acheive.

Salesfolk who run down the other guys rather than teaching the virtues of what they sell are a version of (1) and I do not even want to listen to them. But dive shops have the pressure of having to make money (Don't we all?) and that pressure can affect judgement.

So, you do what my grandmother used to teach me: take what is good and reject what is bad. I think the modern parlance is, "Take the best and ignore the rest." But my grandmother was always ahead of her times.

Joewr

There is the old axiom, follow the money. People in dive shops selling gear are their for one main purpose, to sell the gear. If you have a hot dog stand and refer people constantly to the fast food joint across the street, you won't do it for long. I agree with most of what has been stated, the shop I go to will frequently steer me to less expensive stuff and gives good advice, but I always remember where the info is coming from, it is NOT a %100 independent source, neither is Rodales for that matter, they can say what they want, but they do have a monetary relationship with the companies they review. A long time scuba divemaster or the like and good ol experience are the best. The more I dive the more I learn, a pro may love a certain something or other but I may not like it at all or it may not be appropriate for my uses. Many types of diving. I do also think it is uncalled for and unprofessional to put down another companies products, unless there is good cause and done in an objective manner with logic and facts.

Tommy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom