If traveling to Mexico...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanMist333

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
always remember the sea water is cleaner than the "drinking water." After being a victim of Montesuma, still in recovery, all I can say is talk your doctor into filling a prescription of Cipril before you go.

After reading this member's posts, doesn't this apply?

Terms of Service Definition: Trolling
Exploiting the weaknesses of human nature or of an on-line community to upset people. ScubaBoard includes POV warriors, cranks, impolite users and disruptive behaviour in this definition.

always remember the sea water is cleaner than the "drinking water." After being a victim of Montesuma, still in recovery, all I can say is talk your doctor into filling a prescription of Cipril before you go.

Sorry to hear you had a bad expereience...

I would agree that it is not usually wise to drink 'tap water' in Mexico. One should always insist on bottled water. And ice is usually safe as most places purchase ice which is made from purified water.

Odds are 20%-50% of all international travelers will expereience some form of distress when one travels to places like Mexico. I guess PROMCOp will need to be happy in his little corner of the world. I am sure he would not want to take any risks by traveling to other developing countries in Asia Pacific either.Hmmm why is it many great dive locations are in developing countires - on well - sign me up. So, bottom line is no matter where you go - there is some risk.

Antibiotic such as Cipro are not recommend as a preventative measure. And with any antibiotics should be taken with care.

The good thing about Mexico is you can buy Cipro and other Rx OTC. Just use good judgement.

Many resorts in Mexico have a reverse osmosis water treatment plant and their water is safe to drink. Earlier this year I stayed at Club International (VCI) in Cancun and drank the water from the tap for a week without any problem. Talk with the front desk of the resort before hand. You can also look for red flags on tripadvisor.com

Many resorts in Mexico have a reverse osmosis water treatment plant and their water is safe to drink. Earlier this year I stayed at Club International (VCI) in Cancun and drank the water from the tap for a week without any problem. Talk with the front desk of the resort before hand. You can also look for red flags on tripadvisor.com

Thanks - that is a very good point - most larger resorts do have RO systems. And as a side note - even if you do ask for water with ice and they bring it without a bottle - it most likely came from a large bottle cooler at the bar. Even the small bars and restaurants know better than service anyone 'tap water'. Besides a 20 litre about 5 gals cost about $1.50. Yes the 20 L cost the same as that small bottle you had to buy after airport security :shocked2:. BTW search the past issues of Undercurrents - if I remeber there was a good article about travelers 'distress' and what causes it.

Read the OP's recent posts, all he does is agitate people.

I agree. I've been going to Cancun and have stayed at the Royals for a couple of years now. I've never had any problems with the water at the resorts. Having said that, if I go out stick to the DOS XX's....don't trust the water. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom