Identifying o-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How can I locate a replacement o-ring for a Sony MPK-PHB housing? I've had it for a couple years now and it doesn't look like the housing itself is sold any longer. The specifications in the manual and online just mention that an o-ring/replacement o-ring is included, but don't say anything about the size or specification.

I assume they're relatively standardized, but how can I make sure I get the right replacement?

Thanks Gilligan, I'll do that.

Assuming I can locate some replacements, is there a shelf-life to an unused o-ring? How long should one typically last under occasional use (the manual recommends changing yearly, IIRC)?

scottm:
Thanks Gilligan, I'll do that.

Assuming I can locate some replacements, is there a shelf-life to an unused o-ring? How long should one typically last under occasional use (the manual recommends changing yearly, IIRC)?

I have O-rings that are over two years old and are still good. Keep them in a dark location with some grease and in a sealed bag.

NOTE: Do not use generic silicone grease on O-rings unless you know what they are made of. Use only the manufacturers grease. Generic silicone grease breaks down silicone O-rings. They are not compatible. This issue has been discussed several times. For example the Olympus O-ring grease is marked "Silicone grease for use on silicone O-rings". What that label means is the grease is for use on silicone O-rings, not that it is made of silicone grease. My guess on that label is something was lost in the translation from Japanese to English. I tell you this from personal experience. I used generic silicone grease on an Olympus silicone O-ring and it stretched out of shape within a month or so.

I suggest you order the grease with the O-ring if Yuzo can get it for you.

Back
Top Bottom