Identify this tool??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiznutaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently got this magnehelic setup, but can't for the life of me figure out what the circled thing is for that's part of the setup. Anybody have a clue?
20230812_175823~2.jpg

I recently got this magnehelic setup, but can't for the life of me figure out what the circled this is for that's part of the setup. Anybody have a clue? View attachment 797040
Yes, it seems to be a Flow Meter.
Question is how it is supposed to be connected. Normally is the FM connected at the top to a needle valve which is producing with the incoming IP of a tank and a 1st stage a vacuum via the venturi effect.
A 2nd stage is connected at the lower part of the FM, which is also connected to a 1st stage, a tank and the test bench.
This is the reg to be tested.
The vacuum opens the 2nd stage valve and the air is blowing upwards, taking the float with it.
The marks show how much air is floating in that moment.
Sometimes the vacuum is created by a type of vacuum machine (like a cleaner).
At the same time on the test bench you can watch the dynamic IP and the dynamic cracking effort (CE).
With this setup you could test the dynamic IP drop under flow and at the same time the CE.
You will automatically see how the Venturi assist on your 2nd is working.
It might not work at all or only a bit, or you get pretty fast a Venturi Override, so your 2nd starts to fully free flow and pushes your Magnehelic reading into negative territory.
From your pic it is not possible to see if there is a vacuum pump maybe behind the the stand which could be connected to the FM.
I also cannot recognize if the LP hose is directly connected to the FM or goes behind the FM.
Anyway, it's a nice DIY Test Bench......
I didn't have time to make more pics of my Flow Bench, but it's clear that there are similarities, so I hope that helps.....

Attachments

• P1190093.JPG
    P1190093.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 49
Yes, it seems to be a Flow Meter.
Question is how it is supposed to be connected. Normally is the FM connected at the top to a needle valve which is producing with the incoming IP of a tank and a 1st stage a vacuum via the venturi effect.
A 2nd stage is connected at the lower part of the FM, which is also connected to a 1st stage, a tank and the test bench.
This is the reg to be tested.
The vacuum opens the 2nd stage valve and the air is blowing upwards, taking the float with it.
The marks show how much air is floating in that moment.
Sometimes the vacuum is created by a type of vacuum machine (like a cleaner).
At the same time on the test bench you can watch the dynamic IP and the dynamic cracking effort (CE).
With this setup you could test the dynamic IP drop under flow and at the same time the CE.
You will automatically see how the Venturi assist on your 2nd is working.
It might not work at all or only a bit, or you get pretty fast a Venturi Override, so your 2nd starts to fully free flow and pushes your Magnehelic reading into negative territory.
From your pic it is not possible to see if there is a vacuum pump maybe behind the the stand which could be connected to the FM.
I also cannot recognize if the LP hose is directly connected to the FM or goes behind the FM.
Anyway, it's a nice DIY Test Bench......
I didn't have time to make more pics of my Flow Bench, but it's clear that there are similarities, so I hope that helps.....

Awesome, thanks for the explanation! There was a blower that also came with it, but wasn't sure how that was a part of it. It must have been hooked up to it to provide the vacuum. The hose you see is for the bottom gauge and it not a part of the flow meter as it's set up.

Back
Top Bottom