Identify These Regs/ Recommend 1st Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I recall correctly, the quarry got to 42 degrees at about 46ft during our OW certification. I don't know if the rental gear provided was environmentally sealed or not. My girlfriend just picked up an oceanic Alpha 9 with an SP-5 1st and I'm a little concerned that perhaps it's not the best choice for cold water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added May 28th, 2014 at 04:28 PM ----------

One more question: Does anyone know if the orange octo above is Nitrox capable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As to the 2 octos you have, there may be another issue using them as primary seconds. I do not know for sure on these but some manuf used different springs in their seconds that were sold as octos. These springs are slightly stiffer than those sold for the same second stage that was intended for primary use. Even if service parts are easy to some by, the springs may not be.

I have seen you mention this before but for how many modern regs is this a problem? My understanding was stiffer springs were used in older regulators (from the 60s and 70s) with non-adjustable orifices. These regulators appear to be from the 90s.

The older round Sherwood octo's were also different from their primarys in that the demander lever fulcrum point was curved rather than flat.....or was it the other way round?

OP.....The MK 5 can be packed with grease if you have the spec model with the small ambient holes and then get hold of a 109 metal 2nd stage.

The MK 5 can be packed with grease if you have the spec model with the small ambient holes and then get hold of a 109 metal 2nd stage.

So can some of the older MK-10s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom