Identify these fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys i stumbled across this website when looking for details of these fins. I'm hopeful that somebody knows the particular model.

Cheers

Chris
IMAG0524.jpg

Beachat but not sure which model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys i stumbled across this website when looking for details of these fins. I'm hopeful that somebody knows the particular model. Cheers Chris

They are the original Beuchat Jetfins, designed in the early 1960s by Georges Beuchat's company in Marseilles as "palmes à tuyères." "Espadon", French for swordfish, was one of their brands. Here is an image from the US patent for his invention:
US3183529-beuchat_JetFin-US-Patent-1.jpg
In the 1960s, European divers regarded full-foot fins as superior to the open-heel kind and the prices back then reflected this perception. Beuchat's Jetfins came with a variety of foot pockets, always closed-heel in the smaller sizes, but sometimes with an additional heel strap and toe opening, sometimes without. As has already been mentioned, Beuchat sold the design to Scubapro, which changed the name "Jetfin" to "Jet Fin" using two separate words. The American company never produced a full-foot version of the fins.

The French Beuchat company made other significant contributions to the history of diving equipment. For example, it was responsible for the development of an early sponge-rubber wetsuit and fin grips, the three-way rubber straps used to secure full-foot fins. Further details about the company can be found at Beuchat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom