Identify BVI Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay all you BVI divers I need some help identifying this little fellow. We did a lot of snorkeling mixed in with diving on our trip. At Monkey Point I jumped into the water to do some snorkeling and this guy shot straight at my eyes...what a strange sensation to see something zip at you like that. Happens so quickly you aren't sure if it really happened. I soon realized that he was hanging with me during the whole snorkle. He especially seemed to enjoy riding along in my flow of water current as I was swimming back to the boat after about 45 min so I decided to snap these shots as we swam along together. After returning to the boat, taking a rest, and then getting back in the water, the other people on the boat laughed as I jumped back into the water and he shot out of nowhere to find me again. Great fun!

Anyone know what kind of fish he might be?

Attachments

• Nemo 2.JPG
    Nemo 2.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Nemo 3.jpg
    Nemo 3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 135
Hard to tell from the angle; my best guess would be some kind of Goby? I'll look up my giant book of tropical fishes when I get home and see if I can find a better match.

I was not able to get any side views as I was just taking the shots with my arm extended in front of me hoping he was in the shot. I do have this one additional shot that someone else took. It is quite grainy, especially after enlarging, but you can see a dark bar running through his eye.

Attachments

• Nemo4.JPG
    Nemo4.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 244
clearly a BVI neck fish, known to swim near a persons neck.:D

Unfortunately fish are identified by their shape and fins. Color of the same fish can vary and especially when they are young. from the bottom it is hard to narrow down the field.

At first I too was thinking a Goby.

My guess is a Juvenile Nassau Grouper?

From what little we can see it appears to have the right body, mouth and head shape and coloring potential.

Just a guess.

We will be in the BVI in August taping episodes for our TV show, maybe I will run into him and get some better shots. LOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom