Ideas for converting an HID light or repurposing the NiMH battery canister?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agantt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I have a Halcyon Explorer 4.5 10watt HID canister light. The bulb shattered and I can’t find a replacement anywhere. The light is in perfect condition otherwise. I don’t want to buy a new light (although the Focus 2.0 is tempting) without looking at all my options to salvage this.

I’m a complete novice when it comes to electrical wiring, but I was wondering if it’s possible to convert the light to LED or repurpose the battery pack or convert it to Lithium Ion to use with my heated vest and gloves or a new lighthead, or if it’s a lost cause. I currently run my heating system with a 20Ah Light Monkey battery canister which I could use with a new light head instead. Idk. I’m lost and not sure what the best course of action is.

Any ideas? I’d also be happy to purchase a bulb if anyone can source one for me, but that seems impossible. I’m waiting to hear back from Halcyon though.

Having trouble loading pictures. You can do it with a deepish cheap reflector on top of a cheap led module inserted into a not-too-stiff spring of the proper length. (The module has a little lip that the spring goes under)

Worked great before it flooded at the cord connection @ the back of the light. The deep reflector emitted a really tight hot-spot

Having trouble loading pictures. You can do it with a deepish cheap reflector on top of a cheap led module inserted into a not-too-stiff spring of the proper length. (The module has a little lip that the spring goes under)

Worked great before it flooded at the cord connection @ the back of the light. The deep reflector emitted a really tight hot-spot

Did you have to add anything to protect the wiring from overheating/surging?

Back
Top Bottom