Ideas for a small footprint compact camera setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jf3193

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good afternoon gang,
I’m still researching on my new camera setup I’m going to buy. I currently have a sealife dc-140” with 1 sealife (pre sea dragon) strobe on a shorter flex arm.
My goal is to have a smaller setup but still get decent results. I know I will get better results from a dual strobe setup, but I’m not really wanting that since I like to cradle my gear in my folded arms when I dive.
I’m looking at either a Sony RX100 4-5 or a canon g7x 2-3 for compact options. I’ve heard both in local Best Buy’s.
My question is 2 part.
First, which brand of housings typically are smaller, lighter, and more ergonomic but reliable. I typically take excellent care of my gear.
The second, which strobes tend to be lighter and smaller but get good results?
Since I don’t live near a dove photography shop, it’s hard for me to put hands on the housings, and strobes.
Any suggestions would be great !

cheers

I needed just such a rig myself as I do a lot of scootering, and the larger housings and strobes really create a lot of drag.

I had a Canon G16 in the Ikelite housing, which is pretty big in my opinion. I also had the DS51 strobe but wanted to go optical.

I bought a used Nauticam housing for the G16 as that is really the smallest G16 housing I've seen, but is still really well made and I can put a vacuum leak detector on it. For a strobe I went with the Inon S2000 strobe on a light aluminum arm. It works perfectly for my application which is either natural light wide angle or super macro (with strobe). I carry a Big Blue 3500 light (spot/flood) for video and focus but usually have it on my hand rather than on the camera.

I've used this setup for over a year now on like 90% of my dives and really love it.

We have the Sony, great camera but not terribly good for macro things. For housings, Nauticam are probably the smallest (but most $). Recsea also make a nice housing. There is a Sony housing but it is a bit larger (and way less $). For strobes, look at the Inon S2000.
Bill

I needed just such a rig myself as I do a lot of scootering, and the larger housings and strobes really create a lot of drag.

I had a Canon G16 in the Ikelite housing, which is pretty big in my opinion. I also had the DS51 strobe but wanted to go optical.

I bought a used Nauticam housing for the G16 as that is really the smallest G16 housing I've seen, but is still really well made and I can put a vacuum leak detector on it. For a strobe I went with the Inon S2000 strobe on a light aluminum arm. It works perfectly for my application which is either natural light wide angle or super macro (with strobe). I carry a Big Blue 3500 light (spot/flood) for video and focus but usually have it on my hand rather than on the camera.

I've used this setup for over a year now on like 90% of my dives and really love it.
Sounds like a good setup

We have the Sony, great camera but not terribly good for macro things. For housings, Nauticam are probably the smallest (but most $). Recsea also make a nice housing. There is a Sony housing but it is a bit larger (and way less $). For strobes, look at the Inon S2000.
Bill
which model of RX100 do you have?

This thread is a For Sale thread; what is for sale?

This thread is a For Sale thread; what is for sale?
I placed this in the wrong category last night ( I was browsing classifieds, and placed it here by mistake.). Im having no luck in finding out how to delete the post or move it.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved!

Have fun and let's get this issue solved!​

Back
Top Bottom