Ideal length of stay in Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apologies for a bit of a thread hi-jacker. But I suppose it's relevant to how long you stay in Lembeh. At this rate we will be a permanent fixture.
What time of year? Mantas, Whalesharks. And whereabouts?
Anything else large? Has anyone seen a dugong in Lembeh?

Apologies for a bit of a thread hi-jacker. But I suppose it's relevant to how long you stay in Lembeh. At this rate we will be a permanent fixture.
What time of year? Mantas, Whalesharks. And whereabouts?
Anything else large? Has anyone seen a dugong in Lembeh?

Mantas and whalesharks, only if lucky. large stuff, only if lucky. Dugongs are sometimes seen in Bangka and Bunaken, not heard of one in Lembeh

My memory may not serve correctly but it may have been at the Bangka dugong site, where we weren't fortunate enough to see a dugong but saw the hairy octopus. Very definitely saw another fantastical octopus on that dive!

I've seen awesome shots of dugong taken at that site. Regardless, I'll try again this year.

Ive seen Dugongs at Bunaken but not Bangka. As per currents at Bunaken...wow...some days Bangka has some rippers. Ive always thought of the current at Bunaken as a gentle drift...cant remember ever having to hook on there. Bangka...not always so gentle.

LOL, I found the diving at Bangka to be very calm. We only encountered a bit of current on one site. Of course, I've only been the one time. Perhaps this current of which you speak, is based on moon phase?

Hey Wingy, while you're here may I ask your opinion please. Shall I spend longer at Bangka and Bunaken or save some days for Komodo? Right now, I'm planning 2 full weeks for B&B but could cut back on that a little and apply a couple of days and some of the funds to a week diving south Komodo.

You know that.....its in the neighbourhood theory I apply to dive travel plans ..... :D

Go to Komodo. Sorta why stay in the next suburb to somewhere you travelled half a world to get to when you can get to three suburbs away just as easy and have a whole different hood lol.

LOL, I found the diving at Bangka to be very calm. We only encountered a bit of current on one site. Of course, I've only been the one time. Perhaps this current of which you speak, is based on moon phase?
Probably too but it doesn't explain my experience, I happened to dive Sahaung one day on a mundane moon phase with no currents at all great 30m+ viz then two days later I had raging currents and poor viz especially in the end of the dive where the colorful yellow/green/pink coral patch is, I had to hook to succeed in taking just one photo and got separated from my guide who I only saw back on the boat.

You'll ALWAYS get current on some sites like Batu Pendita

Shall I spend longer at Bangka and Bunaken or save some days for Komodo? Right now, I'm planning 2 full weeks for B&B but could cut back on that a little and apply a couple of days and some of the funds to a week diving south Komodo.

Nah you could even skip Bunaken and go directly to Komodo. You don't want skip Bunaken? Okay then 6 days in Bangka and 2 days in Bunaken (A wall equals a wall equals a wall and so on), save the rest of your time for Komodo.

As for dugongs, Bangka's spot is Peter Sponge but one of your best bet is west of Manado around Popoh area, there's a spot called Bethlehem where you can see them surfacing, then underwater it's a matter of luck.

Will the crew from Bunaken take me to Popoh? If not then how does one get there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom